Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

G. G. F coy What does this stand for?

CDN16thScottish
    CDN16thScottish

G. G. F coy  What does this stand for? Empty G. G. F coy What does this stand for?

Post by CDN16thScottish Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:13 am

While reseaching my great grandfather's (Charles Thomas Brewer), WWI records, it shows he served 7 years in 'G. G. F coy'. Can anyone help me with this? I assume G G stands for Governor-General? He was born in New Zealand moved to England, then came to Canada and settled in Hull?, then moved to Vancouver. After the war they homesteaded in Peace River, Alberta in 1918. Thanks for any help, Ken
    Bill
    Bill

G. G. F coy  What does this stand for? Empty Re: G. G. F coy What does this stand for?

Post by Bill Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:35 pm

GG could be the GG Foot  Guards. They are an Ottawa regiment, and if he lived in Hull that could fit. F Company.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

G. G. F coy  What does this stand for? Empty Re: G. G. F coy What does this stand for?

Post by pylon1357 Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:53 am

Ken, I looked at his Attestation Papers online, to me it reads GGFG, which is certainly the ONLY abbreviation for the Governor General Foot Guards.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    CDN16thScottish
    CDN16thScottish

Post by CDN16thScottish Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:12 am

Bill and Cliff, thank you so much for the info. It was hard for me to make out the abbreviation on his papers on line. For some reason I thought maybe he served in New Zealand, not knowing when he left there. I contacted them by e-mail, but he hadn't served there. Thanks again for filling in some more of the pieces for me. Ken
    John S
    In Memoriam

G. G. F coy  What does this stand for? Empty GGFG Coy What does this stand for????

Post by John S Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:22 pm

16th CDN Scottish;
    I saw your posting here, and as a person with a long association with the GGFG, I just had to respond!!
    Had a look at Charles Thomas Brewer`s CEF attestation papers- as my eyes see it, it is not GGF Coy, but rather GGFG, with the last G shaped very much like the first/second G on the attestation paper.
    My GGFG records reflect that Chas Brewer joined the GGFG as a private on 27 April 1896, and was promoted to Sgt on 4 April 1899. He was stuck off the regimental strength as of 5 May 1903. This reflects the 7 years previous service he states on his CEF attestation paper.
    I hope this helps.
    Cheers,
    John S
    CDN16thScottish
    CDN16thScottish

Post by CDN16thScottish Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:49 am

John S,
    Thanks so much for the great info, I hadn't been on here for some time and just noticed you posting. Ken

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:41 pm