Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Two Approaches

edstorey
    edstorey

Two Approaches Empty Two Approaches

Post by edstorey Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:14 am

I have always found it to be interesting to two how two nations approach the same problem when it comes to manufacturing equipment and materiel.   Here is a simple comparison between two rather mundane binocular cases.

Two Approaches IMG_1668copy_zps2747ae97

The amount of material and work that was involved in making the German case is astonishing when compared to the Canadian example.
    Jonhno

Two Approaches Empty Re: Two Approaches

Post by Jonhno Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:16 am

interesting what material was used, both have inherent problems, bakelite being fragile and web holds water.  The germans as you probably know used leather and also pressed paper cases too.

I think the bakelite case is a better solution if the material had been improved.
    Wgrenadier
    Wgrenadier

Post by Wgrenadier Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:24 pm

I believe the web design is superior, since it could be incorporated into a modular set of webbing along with other kit, rather than adding yet another shoulder strap to the soldier's load and compressing the chest (or being slid onto a belt and pulling it down). The addition of side buckles simply added to its versatility.

Although I can't tell from looking, I would guess that the web version is lighter as well..

Thanks for posting the great picture Ed!
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:38 pm

Actually the German case could be added to a belt or slung with a strap, just as versatile as the web case.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content