Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

looking to feed my addiction

muskey124
    muskey124

looking to feed my addiction Empty looking to feed my addiction

Post by muskey124 Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:57 am

I heading to London on Saturday, does anyone know of any good places to shop or browse for militaria?
    Jonhno

looking to feed my addiction Empty Re: looking to feed my addiction

Post by Jonhno Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:23 am

depending on which way you care coming there is a military fair in toronto, not been out looking for militaria London way, sure there are some antique malls in the area
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:29 pm

In London there is coin shop downtown that has been known to have some militaria. There is a smaller antique mall on Highbury and some other antique stores out in Hyde Park area.
    The two I always had luck in have been closed for years.
    Theres a big antiques mall in Woodstock again depending on which way your travelling but theres not much there military wise every time I go.

IMO the best use of your time would be to hit the RCR Museum on Oxford St. Its a great little museum located in historic Wolseley Barracks.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

muskey124

Post by muskey124 Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:13 pm

I'm going there to check out a flea market, so I'm hoping to find some military badges and kit there. I just thought there might be a surplus store or something in the area. I will be traveling through Woodstock, I might have to make a stop at the antiques mall.
    The RCR Museum and the 1st Hussar Museum are on my to do list, but I am going there with my daughter, her boyfriend and my granddaughter, so those places will have to wait until my next trip there.
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:02 pm

The flea market on Dunday, the Trafalgar Market I think they call it? If so that ones attached to the only surplus store in London, Forest City Surplus and like most surplus stores its mostly liquidation crap...if your lucky they will have some surplus...I've bought some helmets and Korean era wool shirts outta there.
    The coin shop downtown is the best bet for militaria IMO, heard of lots of stuff being bought outta there...I've never been though. I bought a $10 Mills Bomb from a shop down by the coin shop once but its long since closed.

The mall in Woodstock is gigantic, its an old factory. The entire thing, all three floors has been converted to vendors. I've bought a few things out of there but its hit and miss as well.
    Take the exit for hwy 59 off the 401 and head into Woodstock. Keep going you can't miss it, its on the right hand side.
    Good luck on the hunt!

muskey124

Post by muskey124 Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:33 am

Thanks Jeff, for the directions, I might check it out sounds like an interesting place. i know what you mean about surplus stores today, not like when I was a kid, mostly liquidation stuff, or camping stuff.

Len
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:25 am

Jeff, that antiques mall you are talking about... that is the one you took me to when I was there?? That was an interesting place. I would go back again for sure.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:53 am

Yes Cliff that's the same one. We also went to the one on Highbury. I've pulled BD, berets and other stuff outta that city many, many times but not for many years. Now your lucky if you can find anything and its usually junk and overpriced

muskey124

Post by muskey124 Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:53 am

I found that antiques mall in Woodstock, thanks for letting me know about it Jeff. It was a very interesting place indeed, it made me feel really old. there was lots of stuff there, that I had as a child. As you said not a lot of military stuff, and what they had was over priced. That surplus store by the flea market on Dundas St. should be renamed a hardware store. I ended up going to 3 flea markets in London, and all I bought was a book. Hopefully I will have better luck in Burlington next month.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am