Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+3
jholl72
Tankermike
historylover24
7 posters

Hi All! I have a military uniform/genealogy question, require some assistance

historylover24
    historylover24

Hi All! I have a military uniform/genealogy question, require some assistance  Empty Hi All! I have a military uniform/genealogy question, require some assistance

Post by historylover24 Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:01 pm

Hi,

So this is a picture of my 3rd Great grandfather who was born in 1848, Kingsport, Nova Scotia. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me what unit he was apart of? artillery? infantry?. I was asking on other forums online, and people seem to think this photo was taken before the Boer War and that he was a Canadian Volunteer Militia. In another picture he has various medals, not sure if that makes a difference or not. I really would like to figure this out, and I would also love to apply for a copy of his service record, just need more information first. Any thoughts? And im new to this website, so I hope the photo can be seen, not sure if I uploaded it correctly or not.

Thanks
    historylover24
    historylover24

Hi All! I have a military uniform/genealogy question, require some assistance  Empty Fixed.

Post by historylover24 Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:06 pm

Okay so I figured out how to solve the problem. If you can check out my profile picture somehow, hopefully its large enough. Thats my third great grandfather that I am talking about.
    Tankermike
    Tankermike

Hi All! I have a military uniform/genealogy question, require some assistance  Empty Re: Hi All! I have a military uniform/genealogy question, require some assistance

Post by Tankermike Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:54 am

You will need to insert the picture in the text area, we can not expand your avatar.

jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Hi All! I have a military uniform/genealogy question, require some assistance  Empty Re: Hi All! I have a military uniform/genealogy question, require some assistance

Post by jholl72 Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:20 am

Photo posting tutorial at the attached link...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

historylover24

Hi All! I have a military uniform/genealogy question, require some assistance  Empty So here is the picture I had difficulty uploading, could have been an easier process to this, but oh well.

Post by historylover24 Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:22 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:22 pm

I agree with the other forum .... Canadian Militia pre Boer War ... around 1880 or 1890. He appears to have socket bayonet on his belt for the Snider Enfield ? This may lead to thinking it is an infantry unit. He also appears to be wearing a Glengarry hat with tails which was standard issue to all Canadian Infantry units of that era. Without getting a picture of his hat badge it may be difficult to pinpoint a unit. You may want to do some digging in the family history. Try to correspond with the Kentville Museum in King's County. They would have info on the 68th and 69th which may be good places to start.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Good Luck

Ypres
    historylover24
    historylover24

Post by historylover24 Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:51 pm

Hi Ypres,

Thanks for writing a post. Yeah I believe he was pre Boer War as well. Myself and some others have found payroll's for the 78th Highlanders of Colchester and Pictou Nova Scotia and his name is on their. I will check with the museum and see what they know. Most people are telling me if I have his regiment number to contact the archives, but I do not have his regiment number, trying to locate it still. Thanks!

historylover24
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:20 pm

Hi Everyone.....

Is it me or does the badge/patch/background on the glengarry look to be on the wrong side?????

Also would the bayonet be worn on the right hip and not the left?????

Therefore the is the picture reversed??????

Mike
    edstorey
    edstorey

Hi All! I have a military uniform/genealogy question, require some assistance  Empty Reversed Photograph

Post by edstorey Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:41 pm

Yes, the photograph is reversed as the piping down the front of the jacket is on the wrong side of the buttons. And as stated, the bayonet and badge are also reversed.

ED
    edstorey
    edstorey

Hi All! I have a military uniform/genealogy question, require some assistance  Empty Reversed Image

Post by edstorey Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:44 pm

The corrected image.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    historylover24
    historylover24

Hi All! I have a military uniform/genealogy question, require some assistance  Empty Thanks!

Post by historylover24 Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:52 pm

Oh thanks for fixing that! my relative didn't have the right version I guess.

historylover24
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:47 am

If I understand correctly, LAC does not have service records (open) for time periods pre-1914. There may be rolls for the the 78th, and they may be in local holdings, provincial or national archives.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:51 pm