Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

Marking on groundsheet / rain cape

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Marking on groundsheet / rain cape Empty Marking on groundsheet / rain cape

Post by Infanteer Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:39 pm

A nice groundsheet was donated to the LER museum recently which has a marking that I have not encountered before. I'm looking for info on the stamp "seconds". Does it indicate an item that is substandard?

Marking on groundsheet / rain cape Photo110
    ypres
    ypres

Marking on groundsheet / rain cape Empty Re: Marking on groundsheet / rain cape

Post by ypres Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:56 am

Was there are C arrow or broad arrow on the groundsheet ? If not, the assumption that the "seconds" stamp could mean inferior would seem to make sense.

Ypres
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:03 pm

I did not see the C broad arrow. Are you suggesting that it may have been sold on the civilian market?
    Wgrenadier
    Wgrenadier

Post by Wgrenadier Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:03 pm

I'm not familiar with this maker either, but I'm willing to guess that the "R" stands for rubber, as I have seen many rubber companies involved in the production of webbing/canvas items. Also, it's difficult to say if it is Canadian or Commonwealth without the arrow.

Great find overall!
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:55 pm

Infanteer wrote:I did not see the C broad arrow. Are you suggesting that it may have been sold on the civilian market?

I would think without the arrow marking it would not be military issue  .... It may have been sold to the civilian market or perhaps issued to CD personnel ? Just a thought ? I know in England helmets that did not meet standard had different holes punched in the brim to denote their level of quality. These I believe were issued to ARP and home guard units.

Ypres
    Nico62fr
    Nico62fr

Post by Nico62fr Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:14 am

Hello

Here comes the marking of mine :

Marking on groundsheet / rain cape 2023-010
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:06 pm

I am safe to assume, we all know the C /l\ is the Canadian Government acceptance mark. The lack of this acceptance mark and the addition of the stamp SECONDS would lead me to suspect the groundsheet was made under government contract, but for whatever reason, not accepted and therefore stamped accordingly as a second. The groundsheet, then, Still being serviceable but not to government standard and therefore sold on open civil market.

Of course this is all just a guess on my parts, but I believe it to be quite possible.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 am