Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

Reconstruction of a Canadian Soldier on Summer Exercise

Warspite
    Warspite

Reconstruction of a Canadian Soldier on Summer Exercise Empty Reconstruction of a Canadian Soldier on Summer Exercise

Post by Warspite Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:11 am

Still a work in progress- Canadian soldier on summer exercise, West Germany, Late 1950s. I'm wearing the 1949 pattern bush jacket with 51 pattern webbing and respirator haversack and armed with an Inglis production Browning Hi-Power with tangent rear sight. I don't currently have the correct pattern trousers so these are British 52 pattern jungle trousers which at least match the colour. I also don't have the correct cap yet, hence the MK III helmet. I have been told to drop the respirator haversack down an inch or two to make it a more comfortable fit with the rest of the web gear. This is the first time I have had enough Canadian kit to even attempt putting together an impression, I think I would be right in saying I am the only person in the UK doing this period for Canada at the moment and I am looking forward to the puzzled looks I am going to get on Sunday at my local military history weekend!
    Reconstruction of a Canadian Soldier on Summer Exercise 34016810
    Reconstruction of a Canadian Soldier on Summer Exercise 34049710
    Reconstruction of a Canadian Soldier on Summer Exercise 34068410
    Bill
    Bill

Reconstruction of a Canadian Soldier on Summer Exercise Empty Re: Reconstruction of a Canadian Soldier on Summer Exercise

Post by Bill Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:28 am

Good start. You need the OD 7 armlets for wear on the sleeves of the jacket.
    Ian B
    Ian B

Reconstruction of a Canadian Soldier on Summer Exercise Empty Re: Reconstruction of a Canadian Soldier on Summer Exercise

Post by Ian B Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:13 am

You might also want to shift the water bottle and carrier to the left of the left-hand shoulder strap buckle, so that it sits more on the left hip. This would leave the back centre of the web belt free to carry things like the rolled poncho.

Ian B
    Warspite
    Warspite

Post by Warspite Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:15 am

Hi Ian, I had it there initially, but the respirator haversack was pushing it up and outwards so it was really awkward, which is why I moved it to the small of the back as it fitted round easier. I will see if dropping the respirator a few inches makes a difference and lets it sit a bit flatter though.
    Ian B
    Ian B

Post by Ian B Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:03 pm

Yes, rechecking your photos, I would definitely say you should drop the respirator carrier by lengthening the shoulder strap. It should ride just below the hip bone, not quite as high as you have it.

Otherwise, your interpretation is coming nicely. Good luck in finding the other items you need.

Ian
    Warspite
    Warspite

Post by Warspite Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:28 am

Dropping the respirator worked and lets the canteen sit much more easily over the hip.
    37patt
    37patt

Post by 37patt Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:14 pm

Nice looking set-up.

You may want to consider a Browning without the tangent rear sight as the ones we (Canada) used had the fixed rear sight.
    BAP
    BAP

Post by BAP Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:48 pm

37patt wrote:Nice looking set-up.

You may want to consider a Browning without the tangent rear sight as the ones we (Canada) used had the fixed rear sight.

Not always. The odd No.1 Mk.1* with the slot and tangent rear sight slipped through. I was issued one from time to time here in Canada late 1970's early 1980's.
    Warspite
    Warspite

Post by Warspite Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:05 am

37patt- like you I wasn't sure what service this variant saw, but I have a copy of Inglis Diamond, the history of the Canadian production Browning HP and reading that it seemed that there were still a number of the tangent rear sights in use at this period so I felt okay using that version of the Browning. My impression was that although they were not the most common variant in service, they were still out there in some numbers and used. (plus its the only Browning I have and as one of the Chinese contract guns far more historically interesting than a standard Hi Power)
    37patt
    37patt

Post by 37patt Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:38 pm

Over the last 35 years I have seen several Brownings with the stock cut on the frame and several with the Chinese inscription as well, however I was under the impression that we purged our inventory of the Chinese models in the post war period as they were non standard.

BAP, did you get issued ones with just the stock cut or ones with the tangent sight as well? What time frame were they issued to you, as the final push to convert them all to fixed sights came about in 1971.

I'm just thinking that you must be old, LOL, to have received an unmodified one while in service.

Warspite, I can fully understand "it's the only one I have". My poor Canadian soldier from the early 1980's has a Belgium FN as it too is the only one I have. We do the best we can with what we have. It's still a very nice impression, well done.
    BAP
    BAP

Post by BAP Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:56 pm

37patt wrote:Over the last 35 years I have seen several Brownings with the stock cut on the frame and several with the Chinese inscription as well, however I was under the impression that we purged our inventory of the Chinese models in the post war period as they were non standard.

BAP, did you get issued ones with just the stock cut or ones with the tangent sight as well? What time frame were they issued to you, as the final push to convert them all to fixed sights came about in 1971.

I'm just thinking that you must be old, LOL, to have received an unmodified one while in service.

Warspite, I can fully understand "it's the only one I have". My poor Canadian soldier from the early 1980's has a Belgium FN as it too is the only one I have.  We do the best we can with what we have. It's still a very nice impression, well done.

Yes slot, tangent sight and decal, but no Chinese characters. Back then I didn't know a No.1 Mk.1* from a No.2 Mk.1* but did notice the differences. Oddly, I can't recall ever being issue the wood shoulder stock/holster.....
    37patt
    37patt

Post by 37patt Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:42 pm

Thanks BAP, some interesting info. What year/time frame would that have been?

Units here in Ottawa are still receiving pistols with the M.A.P. stickers on the front of the frame. We certainly get our moneys worth out of our kit.
    BAP
    BAP

Post by BAP Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:00 pm

37patt wrote:Thanks BAP, some interesting info.  What year/time frame would that have been?

Units here in Ottawa are still receiving pistols with the M.A.P. stickers on the front of the frame.  We certainly get our moneys worth out of our kit.

I was in 1977 to 1984. My HP and SMG days dated to the mid to late range of that (before I was only trusted with FNC1A1 or C2's).
    BAP
    BAP

Post by BAP Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:01 pm

Warspite wrote: (plus its the only Browning I have and as one of the Chinese contract guns far more historically interesting than a standard Hi Power)

That, kind sir, is why you need on of each!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:49 am