Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

Canadian Regimental Service Number Help Requested

Hambone
    Hambone

Canadian Regimental Service Number Help Requested Empty Canadian Regimental Service Number Help Requested

Post by Hambone Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:14 pm

Guys, what would be the regimental attribution of service number in the M53100 range? In looking at the available information it would appear close to 31st Alberta Recon Regt. from the 13th Militia Dist., but that ends at M52800. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Regards,
    HB
    Bill
    Bill

Canadian Regimental Service Number Help Requested Empty Re: Canadian Regimental Service Number Help Requested

Post by Bill Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:25 am

MD 13 District Depot.
    Hambone
    Hambone

Canadian Regimental Service Number Help Requested Empty Re: Canadian Regimental Service Number Help Requested

Post by Hambone Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:30 am

Thank you Bill. Would that mean the soldier with that number on his gear would be a replacement during WW2 for a unit in MD13?
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:33 am

It was an intake / basic training depot. The soldier could have ended up just about anywhere in the army. Best route would be to access the personnel file at LAC.
    Hambone
    Hambone

Post by Hambone Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:31 am

Would it have been later war, overseas, no way to tell without a records search? I’m in the US, but I do research and have the personnel records of two Canadian service members, but I paid for the research service. Will the LAC provide me basic information such as unit, etc? Thank you!
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:38 am

The service records would include the units /depots he was posted to. The only catch for SWW records is that there must be proof of death over 20 years ago for accessing the records. They will release redacted records for others. A researcher is one route to go, or you can request the files yourself.
    Hambone
    Hambone

Post by Hambone Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:17 am

Thank you Bill. I will read through the serviceman research tips. The only issue would be how to ID whether he is deceased or not without the info. I guess I submit a request as a non-relative and see what happens?
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:56 am

Once you have a name, a good place to check if he is alive or deceased is the Royal Canadian Legion Last Post web. Of course, that is if he was a Legion member.
    Hambone
    Hambone

Post by Hambone Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:31 am

All I have is the service number, no idea as to the name.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:34 am

Think the best route would be to hire a researcher.
    Hambone
    Hambone

Post by Hambone Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:14 pm

I guess I’ll do that. I appreciate your time and assistance.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm