Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

Service files for RCA pre 1900

Northman
    Northman

Service files for RCA pre 1900 Empty Service files for RCA pre 1900

Post by Northman Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:45 pm

Hello

I am in need of assistance in researching information for members of the RCA prior to 1900. I am working on a project about the Yukon Field Force and the members that served in it.

Some of you may not know that Permanent Force soldiers from the RCA, RCD and RCR served in the YFF during the Klondyke Gold Rush in 1898. I have a list of RCA members that served in the YFF but need to check when they enlisted etc.

I realize that the best way to check would be to contact the RCA Archives but in the past I have had not much luck with them. Is there anyone out there that might be able to help me out.
    qsamike
    qsamike

Service files for RCA pre 1900 Empty Re: Service files for RCA pre 1900

Post by qsamike Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:50 am

Good Morning Tim...…

Welcome to the forum, hope you will find what you are looking for from here.....

Maybe see you at the Easter Show?????

Mike
    Northman
    Northman

Post by Northman Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:54 am

Hello Mike
    I sure hope to make it. We had a move into a bungalow and still sorting what goes where. may take a bit more time. I still have a library and two offices, one for computer and the other for treasures etc. I will plan for it though.
    Anyhow I am really going to try hard to get my YFF research / book all wrapped up this summer. So I am double checking all the 203 names. Now that we have many genalogical websites to choose from I am finding interesting tidbits.
    I did find some major mistakes and thank goodness I didn't rush it.
    I need someone to help me out with artillery men. I have sent an FB message to the RCA Archives so we'll see what they say.
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:05 am

Been thinking Tim.....

I am sure that you have most likely checked the LAC documents for any of your people that served in SA as the full files are there...

Mike

Northman
    Northman

Post by Northman Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:16 am

Yes for Boer War and 1st WW. It has been tricky as I look for signatures on service files and compare with signatures on the YFF pay sheets. Attestation dates are really important as then I can compare with the pay sheets when the last time the member was paid while with the YFF. In August 1900 the YFF was reduced over half as troops were needed in SA etc

Sometimes on service files they do not mention YFF service so then I have to really look hard for other clues. But when I get a date of death or marriage, I can get lucky when the entry in a marriage for example to say that the person was military. DOB is also important as most YFF should have been born 1880 or before.
    In cases of 1st WW service files some YFF members lied about their ages just to get in for another crack with the military.
    It is also great if there is a military rank or unit on the headstone, should I be so lucky to find one in "Find a Grave" website. Sometimes there they have complete obits.
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:37 pm

Hi Tim.....

Here is what I can help you with from my collection.....

Mike

427 Driver Stone, F. M. (“E” Battery)
    436 Corporal Shoeing Smith, LaFlamme, Joseph (“E” Battery / Coronation 1911, Edward 7th LSCG & MSM Can. Reverse)
    537 Gunner Muncey, Singleton Wyndham, (“E” Battery / W.W.1 Pair)
    563 Gunner Rutter, George William, (“E” Battery / WW1 War Medal)

212 Gunner Bramah, Thomas, (“D” Battery / 1911 Coronation / To Can. Scouts)

129 Sergeant Hammond, Dayton Brown, (KIA - FF / “C” Battery / To Can. Scouts)
    134 Sergeant McGreggor, Duncan John, (KIA - FF / “C” Battery / To Can. Scouts)
    136 Shoeing Smith O'Neil, Robert, ("C" Battery) Pocket Watch
    155 Driver Turnbull, John, (“C” Battery)
    Northman
    Northman

Post by Northman Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:19 pm

None of those you have are YFF members. I'll send you the lists to your email. Like I said I am learning some info from genealogical web sites so there is a good source there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:05 am