Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit

CDNREENACTING

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Empty Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit

Post by CDNREENACTING Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:11 pm

Shown here is my current work in progress kit, depicting what a Canadian Army infantryman would of carried during the early 1980's. The kit is based off of the 2PPCLI summer kit list 1983, photo reference, as well as veteran account. Sadly as of now I do not have photos of myself wearing the kit, as my hair is currently not to standard, and it would be unwise of me to display a weapon outside with Canada's current political climate, not at an event. Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Pic_110
    Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Pic_210
    Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Pic_310
    CDNREENACTING

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Empty Re: Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit

Post by CDNREENACTING Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:14 pm

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Pic_410
    Not all of the photos could be included at once, so here's more. Every item shown is dated correctly, or is an exact copy of the piece of equipment that would of been used at the time, only with a later production date. I plan on substituting these items when possible so that everything is properly dated. I also plan on choosing a unit, and badging the tunic as such.
    Ian B
    Ian B

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Empty Kit Layout

Post by Ian B Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:05 pm

Well done that man! Takes me back to some fond (and not so fond) memories of my time in. Flash backs to kit layouts and inspections!

The only bone I would pick with you (picking fly s**t out of pepper) is the socks. Until we were issued the olive drab socks as part of the integrated sock system, we were issued the grey wool socks with the different coloured stitching in the toe. The coloured stitching was to show which size the sock was, each different colour for one different size (as I recall, blue was for my size, 10). Completely grey, but a slightly lighter shade than the ones that you show. The closest that I have seen lately come from Mark's Work Warehouse. While these have a white and black top and black on the toe, they are the closest to what we were issued. But as I said, picking fly s**t out of pepper.

Other than that, I commend you on your efforts. Make sure every piece is marked with your name or initials and last three numbers of your service number (or SIN) hahaha

Regards,

Ian

CDNREENACTING likes this post

CDNREENACTING

Post by CDNREENACTING Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:07 pm

Ian B wrote:Well done that man!  Takes me back to some fond (and not so fond) memories of my time in.  Flash backs to kit layouts and inspections!

The only bone I would pick with you (picking fly s**t out of pepper) is the socks.  Until we were issued the olive drab socks as part of the integrated sock system, we were issued the grey wool socks with the different coloured stitching in the toe.  The coloured stitching was to show which size the sock was, each different colour for one different size (as I recall, blue was for my size, 10).  Completely grey, but a slightly lighter shade than the ones that you show.  The closest that I have seen lately come from Mark's Work Warehouse.  While these have a white and black top and black on the toe, they are the closest to what we were issued.  But as I said, picking fly s**t out of pepper.

Other than that, I commend you on your efforts.  Make sure every piece is marked with your name or initials and last three numbers of your service number (or SIN) hahaha

Regards,

Ian

Thank you for the advice Ian, I truly appreciate it. The socks are one of the things on my list to improve, currently they are my issued modern Logistik socks, which are also colour coded, but the colour markings are on the top of the sock, and not the toe. Hopefully in the upcoming weeks I will have my 70s, mid 80s, and 90s kits shown as well.

Cheers,

Aidan
    edstorey
    edstorey

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Empty Early 1980s CF Field Kit

Post by edstorey Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:46 pm

That is a nice selection of 1980s CF Field equipment!   Looking at the images of the kit that you provided, beyond the grey socks that Ian already mentioned, I don't see any boot bands to secure the bottom of the combat trouser legs.   There were also issue OG 107 towels, long underwear, handkerchiefs and boxer shorts and of course the 'V' neck 'T' shirt that was eventually replaced with a crew neck.   An OG 107 woolen sweater was provided in the 1970s for field use and was replaced in the 1980s with the CF Green sweater.   A decontamination mitt impregnated with Fullers earth was also carried in the Respirator bag and in the mid-1970s a OG 107 Green Housewife started replacing wartime and 1950s-60s examples.

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Sewing10

I don't recall seeing the MX-212 U Flashlights with the ears beside the on/off switch until the late 1980s or early 1990s with earlier models not having that feature.

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Img_8910

You also need to switch around the Mess Tin and Waterbottle Carriers as per this photograph.

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit 203-3010

Happy hunting.

CDNREENACTING

Post by CDNREENACTING Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:06 pm

edstorey wrote:That is a nice selection of 1980s CF Field equipment!   Looking at the images of the kit that you provided, beyond the grey socks that Ian already mentioned, I don't see any boot bands to secure the bottom of the combat trouser legs.   There were also issue OG 107 towels, long underwear, handkerchiefs and boxer shorts and of course the 'V' neck 'T' shirt that was eventually replaced with a crew neck.   An OG 107 woolen sweater was provided in the 1970s for field use and was replaced in the 1980s with the CF Green sweater.   A decontamination mitt impregnated with Fullers earth was also carried in the Respirator bag and in the mid-1970s a OG 107 Green Housewife started replacing wartime and 1950s-60s examples.

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Sewing10

I don't recall seeing the MX-212 U Flashlights with the ears beside the on/off switch until the late 1980s or early 1990s with earlier models not having that feature.

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Img_8910

You also need to switch around the Mess Tin and Waterbottle Carriers as per this photograph.

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit 203-3010

Happy hunting.

Thanks for the information. Personally, I've never been a fan of the boot bands, I have always just used the ones built into the trousers. By chance do you happen to have pictures of the long underwear, handkerchiefs, CF green sweater, and boxer shorts? I have been looking for photos, but have been unable to find any. Just want to make sure I get the right ones before I buy. I have both a decon mitt, and housewife on the way. On the topic of the V neck shirts, I currently have two originals. My unit has been on the lookout for some, but we have been unable to find any. Thank you for the correction on the P64 webbing, assembled it in a rush and didn't notice the pouches were put on incorrectly.

Cheers,

Aidan
    Ian B
    Ian B

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Empty Kit follow-up

Post by Ian B Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:37 pm

Good day Aidan,

Have no pictures but I'll give a you a basic description of the items you are looking for.

Boot bands:  It's whatever you choose.  I knew soldiers who used the bands both in garrison and in the field; I knew soldiers, like me, who used the bands in garrison and the combat trouser ties in the field; and, I knew soldiers who used only the trouser ties in both garrison and in the field;

Long underwear:  A two part garment with a top and bottom.  OD waffle weave cotton.  The top had a crew neck with knit cuffs on the sleeves,  The bottom had an elastic waist band, fly front and knit cuffs on the legs;

Handkerchief:  Approximately 13"- 14" square OD cotton broadcloth:

CF green sweater:  Same style as the Brit "wooly pully" sweater, ribbed knit wool with cloth elbow patches, shoulder patches and epaulettes, BUT all in a Rifle green like the CF Service dress uniform; and

Boxer shorts:  OD cotton broadcloth with elastic waist band and fly front.

In the next couple of days, I'll hunt through my photos in storage and try to find and scan some pictures of the gear you were asking about.

Hope this helps.  Stay safe and have fun!

Ducimus!  ("We lead"  motto of the Infantry Corps)

Ian B

Last edited by Ian B on Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Error in recollecting. The memory isn't what it used to be!)

CDNREENACTING

Post by CDNREENACTING Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:03 pm

Ian B wrote:Good day Aidan,

Have no pictures but I'll give a you a basic description of the items you are looking for.

Boot bands:  It's whatever you choose.  I knew soldiers who used the bands both in garrison and in the field; I knew soldiers, like me, who used the bands in garrison and the combat trouser ties in the field; and, I knew soldiers who used only the trouser ties in both garrison and in the field;

Long underwear:  A two part garment with a top and bottom.  OD waffle weave cotton.  The top had a crew neck with knit cuffs on the sleeves,  The bottom had an elastic waist band, fly front and knit cuffs on the legs;

Handkerchief:  Approximately 13"- 14" square OD cotton broadcloth:

CF green sweater:  Same style as the Brit "wooly pully" sweater, ribbed knit wool with cloth elbow patches, shoulder patches and epaulettes, BUT all in a Rifle green like the CF Service dress uniform; and

Boxer shorts:  OD cotton broadcloth with elastic waist band and fly front.

In the next couple of days, I'll hunt through my photos in storage and try to find and scan some pictures of the gear you were asking about.

Hope this helps.  Stay safe and have fun!

Ducimus!  ("We lead"  motto of the Infantry Corps)

Ian B

Thank you for the information Ian, I truly appreciate it. As a young guy, I'm trying to get as more information as well documented and accurate as possible, as sadly most people my age don't care for history anymore.

Cheers,

Aidan
    Ian B
    Ian B

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Empty CF Green Sweater

Post by Ian B Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:03 pm

Attaching two pics of the subj sweater. Photos are from Cyprus, mustering to go on leave. So troops are wearing a separate brassard on each shoulder with UN patch and Canada flag.  No photos of the thermal underwear or boxers (that'd be kinda creepy).  Anyway, hope this gives you a better idea of what to look for.  Sending you a PM.

Ian

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Img_0310
    Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Img_e010

edstorey
    edstorey

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Empty CF Boxer Shorts

Post by edstorey Sun May 02, 2021 8:26 am

This is what the OG 107 Green Boxer Shorts looked like.

Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Img_0710
    Darrell
    Darrell

Post by Darrell Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:53 pm

Hi Aidan

Still need bits?

I have x4 Handkerchiefs but they are 1986 and 1989 dated.

Can't help with chickenskins (long underwear) but I do have a quite small 1980s Combat Sweater (size 90(36)) and the larger of the two green towels.

Let me know. Very Happy

There are yellow Melmac cups that match your plate too. Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Img_7210
    Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Img_7212
    Early 1980's Canadian Forces Kit Img_7211

regards
    Darrell

ptejoeydepalmer

Post by ptejoeydepalmer Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:11 pm

Did you find the thermals? let me know I have 2 sets. Also have 2 boxers (never used) and 2 v-neck t-shirts (also never warn). I also like to add that in the early 1980s, the undies that was used most was what we found at the CanEx and the local department store (if you did not go commando). Never issued boxers until 1988 and even than they where filed at the bottom of the foot locker. Another thing too, we where never issued any of the NBC garb except for the gas mask. Being westies, we where more concerned on what we needed for storming beaches and what we needed after we took the beach and where surfing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:08 am