Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

39th Norfolk Battalion of Rifles (pre-1880s) archives/records research - help needed

ColonelKlink1942
    ColonelKlink1942

39th Norfolk Battalion of Rifles (pre-1880s) archives/records research - help needed Empty 39th Norfolk Battalion of Rifles (pre-1880s) archives/records research - help needed

Post by ColonelKlink1942 Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:06 am

Hey gang,

I've been researching what I can about the 39th Norfolk Battalion of Rifles for almost the past year, trying to learn what I can but also trying to uncover records containing any sort of equipment lists of firearms and bayonets which may have been issued to them around the time they were initially raised in 1866. I've been successful in locating records altogether, but they're merely payroll lists or lists of men serving within the militia regiment, which isn't exactly what I'm after.

I've got a bayonet that may have belonged to the regiment, so I'm hoping that with the markings on it, I can match it up to one if it's listed anywhere, and learn more about its story. Finding these records would be the main thing I seek. Alternatively, if somebody here has firearms or memorabilia (or knows a place that's got them that has photos already available) from the 39th Norfolk Battalion of Rifles and could show me similar marking styles, fonts, and so forth, that would be a bonus.

Patiently waiting, but thank you in advance!
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

39th Norfolk Battalion of Rifles (pre-1880s) archives/records research - help needed Empty Re: 39th Norfolk Battalion of Rifles (pre-1880s) archives/records research - help needed

Post by jholl72 Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:57 pm

Can you post pics of the bayo and the markings on it?

ColonelKlink1942

39th Norfolk Battalion of Rifles (pre-1880s) archives/records research - help needed Empty Re: 39th Norfolk Battalion of Rifles (pre-1880s) archives/records research - help needed

Post by ColonelKlink1942 Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:27 am

jholl72 wrote:Can you post pics of the bayo and the markings on it?

I was originally going to post about that in a separate post altogether, but if necessary I can.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:10 am