Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

NWMP officer's badge... All time record for a Canadian badge

Bill
    Bill

NWMP officer's badge... All time record for a Canadian badge Empty NWMP officer's badge... All time record for a Canadian badge

Post by Bill Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:55 am

An officer's gilt and silver North West Mounted Police badge was auctioned at Bosley's Mail Auction this week. The price realized was $7,665 plus fees. This must be an all time record for the sale of a single Canadian badge.
    Bill
    Bill

NWMP officer's badge... All time record for a Canadian badge Empty World Record...

Post by Bill Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:29 am

Bosleys, on their site, reports the price as a world record.
    Darrell
    Darrell

NWMP officer's badge... All time record for a Canadian badge Empty Re: NWMP officer's badge... All time record for a Canadian badge

Post by Darrell Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:02 pm

Hi

Although not likely to reach the same price, this one should do well too:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

regards
    Darrell
    Wouter
    Wouter

NWMP officer's badge... All time record for a Canadian badge Empty Re: NWMP officer's badge... All time record for a Canadian badge

Post by Wouter Sat May 01, 2010 6:59 am

So what's so special about these badges? Very rare and very collectable?
    Bill
    Bill

NWMP officer's badge... All time record for a Canadian badge Empty NWMP on ebay

Post by Bill Sat May 01, 2010 9:09 am

Hi Darrel, That badge on ebay is a little disconcerting. Being cast, and a rough cast, is not typical of badges made in the period. The vendor has indicated that he is unsure as to its provenance, and it could very well be a reproduction. The quality is just not there on this badge.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Sat May 01, 2010 9:47 am

Is this the same kind of badge that had the record selling price?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Bill

Post by Bill Sat May 01, 2010 11:52 am

Here is a link to the auction site. The badge is the one imaged. (Don't know how long they will keep the image up.)http://www.bosleys.co.uk/
    Darrell
    Darrell

Post by Darrell Sat May 01, 2010 6:11 pm

Hi Bill

Yes, I saw it was cast but it really does look like a very old one. It doesn't look that "rough". There is quite a bit of detail in the leaves etc. I thought perhaps a locally reproduced period piece by some remote Mountie detachment? hmmm

But as your are certainly more knowledgable in these matters than I, maybe the fakers are getting better!!!

Not my theme so no worries of me getting soaked, in any case!! 🇳🇴

regards
    Darrell
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Sun May 02, 2010 10:39 am

Hi Darrel, Not to say it is bogus, but I am just very uncomfortable with the badge. It may have been made for a movie, or it may be an early repro, or it may be a one off badge. (By rough I meant the back of the badge. Good cast badges are of superior quality when compared to the back on this one.)
    I am not in the league either. :)
    Darrell
    Darrell

Post by Darrell Sun May 02, 2010 11:56 am

Hi Bil

Ah yes, I hadn't thought about the Movie prop angle. Good point. duh

And noted about what you meant by "rough". :)

If it is a deliberate fake, whoever has done it sure has aged it well. Scary scary, if that's the case!!!

As in all things on ebay, buyer beware is the only real advice that holds up in all cases. I'm not saying the Seller is doing any hinky business either and at least he's honest about not knowing it's provenance.

kind regards
    Darrell

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:47 am