Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+3
jholl72
pylon1357
Infanteer
7 posters

Should these posts be moved to applicable sections?

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Should these posts be moved to applicable sections? Empty Should these posts be moved to applicable sections?

Post by Infanteer Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:01 am

Was just thinking about the items that I have posted in this section and was wondering if they should be moved to the applicable section after a period of time? I have posted several items that would add to the WW2 section and help it grow but as things are currently it would require me to post the items again. What if threads started in this section get moved automatically after a fixed period of time such as a month and placed where they can be researched / located easier in the future?
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Should these posts be moved to applicable sections? Empty Re: Should these posts be moved to applicable sections?

Post by pylon1357 Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:07 pm

I think that is a very good idea. Never really noticed this before as I have not had the opportunity to post any new Acquisitions, I have not used this Section of the forum.

I will wait for others to reply to get a general consensus. But I do suspect I better learn how to move posts, very very soon.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Should these posts be moved to applicable sections? Empty Re: Should these posts be moved to applicable sections?

Post by jholl72 Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:22 pm

Yeah, that is a great idea. I know that sometimes, I don't check the New acquisitions forums, so may miss something if it is not in the appropriate forum.

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:21 pm

Can be done...I will move mine for now and wait to see what everyone else says.

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:34 am

I agree with moving the posts after a month sounds like an excellent idea. Just wish I could figure out the Moderator options for this. I seem to only be able to "Split Topics" but not move them.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Yeah, I think its a good idea. If everyone doesn't mind, I will start moving the posts that started more than 30 days ago.

But before that, I notice some posts that should be renamed to clarify what the post is about...instead of having say "my latest acquisition" as the heading. I just want to ask if a heading edit would be ok for some of them...I don't want to seem bullish for editing a members post without their consent.

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:01 am

mk1rceme wrote:Yeah, I think its a good idea. If everyone doesn't mind, I will start moving the posts that started more than 30 days ago.

But before that, I notice some posts that should be renamed to clarify what the post is about...instead of having say "my latest acquisition" as the heading. I just want to ask if a heading edit would be ok for some of them...I don't want to seem bullish for editing a members post without their consent.

Renaming sounds reasonable to me. It would aid in people searching the threads in the future to find what they are looking for.
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:35 pm

Good for me too, I will help out where I can in the next few days.

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:07 pm

I've been spending a lot of cash lately to give you guys something to move... consider it my sacrifice for the forum :lol:
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:32 pm

Infanteer90 wrote:I've been spending a lot of cash lately to give you guys something to move... consider it my sacrifice for the forum :lol:

That's very thoughtful of you Steve! If you have an overabundance of cash I have a few items I could use some funds for.LOL!

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:05 pm

Some of you may have noticed that some individual post counts have gone down a bit since yesterday. This is due to 86battalion leaving the site and erasing all his posts. This left many useless threads that had no relevant info left in them. I began finding his posts and deleting them last night which also deleted other members replies to his posts. I apologize for this but it had to be done.

jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:08 pm

Why in hell would you delete your posts? Even if your not interested in participating here, the posts should stay for reference sakes for other members. Unbelievable behaviour. Maybe it's time to put a limited time for editing posts, to stop this stuff from happening in the future.

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:33 pm

That's a good idea.

Darrell

Post by Darrell Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Hi Dale

I have no issues with moving threads in this section into applicable subject areas after a period of time. Nor do I have a problem with re-naming them as neccessary. Makes sense. :)

As for deleting posts, some Forums I've been on won't let you Delete a post after a period of time (also only delete if yours is the latest post in a thread) but one can "edit" them whenever. That's the usual way of someone getting around not being able to delete. I would not encourage you to nix the"edit" function though. If a disgruntled or otherwise un satisfied member wishes to delete (or edit to the point of deleting content), let it go. They don't do themselves any favours by doing it and those that remain will likely know the whys of it anyway. Yes, it'd be shame to lose any posted info or have a thread no longer make sense but it's not likely to happen all that often.

Just my 2 cents.

regards
    Darrell
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:38 pm

Guess I should have said that he edited his posts...they are still there, just empty.

I will see what I can do about editing permissions.

pink

Post by pink Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:12 pm

As a newer Forum member and a long time collector, the sharing of quality information is what makes our hobby grow and appreciated by others who can glean historical information from our little treasures. I think it rather selfish for people who take the time to share their knowledge, that they 'take their ball and leave' and whole-heartedly support retaining the information as posted...be it relavent or not, it was important enough to share off the hop, so it should remain....
    Ypres Creepers
    Ypres Creepers

Post by Ypres Creepers Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:10 pm

I agree with pink 100% here.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am