Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Mills bomb training aid

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Mills bomb training aid Empty Mills bomb training aid

Post by Infanteer Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Picked up another Mills bomb to add to my ever growing collection. I already have a couple of factory sectioned No36 bombs but the quality of the original varnish on this one is outstanding and it's complete so I couldn't pass. I didn't get a mind blowing deal (like another forum member seems to be getting these days) but since they are getting harder to find I like to buy them when I see them. It's made by Frost and Woods and is marked FW on the body and lever and the base plug is dated 1943.

Does anyone have a Chatco marked No36 they can part with? That maker is proving difficult for me to find. I seem to mostly find M and FW marked examples. I do have one G but it's been refinished I think as it appears to be painted green.

Mills bomb training aid My_col37
    Mills bomb training aid My_col38
    GCR817
    GCR817

Mills bomb training aid Empty Re: Mills bomb training aid

Post by GCR817 Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:17 pm

I was just on Collectors Guild and they have a nice Chatco No36 for sale with good paint and varnish. It is a little expensive at $272, but it is a hard grenade maker to find.

Cheers,

Geoff
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:28 pm

That's a great pick up Steve! I don't have one of those yet, I wish I had picked up that one you were selling awhile back. Congrats!

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:36 am

Thanks Geoff, I did see that one on the Guild but the price is just too extreme for me... maybe someday that will be a good price but right now I feel that it is at the extreme high end. $200 for a really nice example is about the limit for me right now. I can't believe that the first couple that I picked up 20 years ago or so were in the $40 range. That's a fairly decent increase in value.

Jeff, I still have that grenade and don't think that I would sell it now. Trade, maybe, but it would have to be something pretty good. Ordnance is just getting real hard to find in Canada.
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:43 am

Hi Steve,

Yes, I agree that $200 is about my upper limit as well. I think the prices reflect the fact that you can't order anything from the US anymore!

My fist grenade cost $25!

Cheers,

Geoff

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:03 pm