Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Cloth shoulder titles CEF

Bill
    Bill

Cloth shoulder titles CEF Empty Cloth shoulder titles CEF

Post by Bill Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:56 am

For the last several years I have been researching and compiling material on the cloth shoulder titles as used in the Canadian Army. Several "chapters" are in draft form, and the project is moving along.
    At this point in time, I am editing the chapter on the embroidered shoulder titles for the CEF, and I would appreciate some assistance. If anyone has images CLEARLY showing an embroidered shoulder title in wear could they let me know? And similarly, if anyone has CEF embroidered shoulder title artefacts, a high res image or scan would be appreciated.
    I will be asking for the same assistance with the Second World War era, but the focus will be images of the titles in wear.
    Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Cloth shoulder titles CEF Empty Re: Cloth shoulder titles CEF

Post by Battalion Colours Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:01 pm

PM sent.

"Honneur et Fidélité"

Cloth shoulder titles CEF Ensign10

Cloth shoulder titles CEF Flag_canada
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:02 am

Good Morning Bill......

Here is a good piece that has shown up on ebay....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANADA-WWI-PPCLI-Reinforcing-Draft-McGill-COTC-shoulder-title-E-RARE-/320788162159?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab076e66f

Mike
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:15 am

Hi Mike, Yes I saw that title, but I have some misgivings about the id. The title has the appearance of Second World War material. Unfortunately, there is very little official documentation about CEF cloth shoulder titles, and there is no mention of this title in the documentation that exists. (I have documented 63 titles to date.) The CEF cloth shoulder titles that I have documented to date are all embroidered. And none of them are flocked. The flocked production is usually seen on early Second World War Canadian titles, and some other insignia such as army cadet titles. (Flocked badges were not very popular. They were not durable, and did not stand up to wear on the tunic.) I also have three armbands to the McGill COTC contingent, two of which are the same colour as the shoulder title. (White on red.) The armbands are attributed to either the late 30's or early Second World War. I would like to see some evidence to corroborate the McGill COTC badge as FWW.
    Addenda: The FWW provenance may be attributed to the terminology, "Contingent". However, Contingent was used well past the Firt World War. Chris Brooker uses the term himself to describe the COTC contingents that were raised in the 1920's and 1930's etc, in his book on the COTC. The term is an official designation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:28 am