Picked up a couple of years ago - RC Signals "Jimmy"

rolleye

Picked up a couple of years ago - RC Signals "Jimmy"

Post by rolleye on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:10 am

Two posts with a week... new record for me :)

While on vacation a couple of summers ago in the Penetanguichene ON region I wandered into a second hand store. I wasn't really expecting find much ... then I noticed a winged foot statued fellow on a trophy type base.

The next day was a Militaria/Gun show - maybe the big fall show in Etobicoke, ON and I took it down there. I met a fellow who kew about them - he offered me $ 50 which I politely refused. He told me - if memory serves - that they are called Jimmies - not sure of the spelling - and are given out by the Royal Canadian Singnals for various things. I think he also said that there are a couple of styles for the statue and this was the older style. I should have paid more attention at the time.

I think it is made of sterling and though a little tarnished is in very good condition. The base doesn't really fit and it looks like a plate was removed from one of the sides - maybe a name plate but I really don't know. edit - Royal Canadian Signals goes around the center of the globe - edit.

Here are some pictures:

----------

----------

----------

Anyone have any more more info on on it - I use it to hang memory sticks and other stuff - quite handy.

Last edited by rolleye on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added globe details)
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Re: Picked up a couple of years ago - RC Signals "Jimmy"

Post by mk1rceme on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:34 am

Very cool! I've seen one of those somewhere around here...can't recall where though.

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:53 am

This is an interesting item. Do I see a Canadian Forces Communications Command badge? It is barely visible in the first photo. If so IIRC this would date this sometime between 1970 and the mid 90's??

rolleye

Post by rolleye on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:55 am

Yes, I think so. i have been told that there are a couple styles of the statue and this may be an older one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:50 pm