Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

My bicycle that rode the Green Mile

Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

My bicycle that rode the Green Mile  Empty My bicycle that rode the Green Mile

Post by Cameraguy Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:18 pm

Thank you Cliff for making this photo upload real easy for me! Told ya,needed to be hand held through the steps!  Lol  Finally got it.

Many people would look at this bycycle and think,"It's just an old bike!". I hope you all see the difference between junk and this bicycle.

PPCLI RSM Graham Olmstead presented me this bike which he and others used used to patrol the Green Line while serving in Cyprus in the late 60's early 70's. Well, actually he said he never patrolled the line as he was an RSM,but he did ride it while there.It was used to patrol that line by his subordinates. You can still see part of the UN blue on the crossbar,and attached is a cycle just like this one in Cyprus.... Awesome gift from a great fellow. I will document his story soon for my Veterans Voices of Canada.

My bicycle that rode the Green Mile  Img_1211

My bicycle that rode the Green Mile  Img_1212

My bicycle that rode the Green Mile  Img_1210

My bicycle that rode the Green Mile  United10
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

My bicycle that rode the Green Mile  Empty Re: My bicycle that rode the Green Mile

Post by Cameraguy Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:37 pm

Sorry guys,I was so excited to actually be able to post photos I inadvertently posted to WW2 section. Sorry! Admin,please feel free to swap to proper placement. Cheers!
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

My bicycle that rode the Green Mile  Empty Re: My bicycle that rode the Green Mile

Post by pylon1357 Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:00 am

I moved this to the Cold War Era section.

Interesting looking bicycle. There was a fellow on the Boardwalk in KAF who sold bikes very very similar to these. IIRC one of our lads sent one home.

Be sure to document the history of this as best you can. It is a great item in my opinion.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:12 pm

Hey Cliff,thanks for the words. Unsure if you know of my history,but I began an organization called Veterans Voices of Canada. Check it out sometime if you get the chance.
    www.vetvoicecan.org

I'm all about historical documentation,and when the time is right,all of my "historical wares" will be displayed for the public to see. Each item that I have is documented and those with the type of provenance that we see here will sure to be displayed. As we both agree,that is so important.

Cheers!
    leprechaun

Post by leprechaun Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:06 am

sounds like an amazing organization! Congratulations!
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

My bicycle that rode the Green Mile  Empty Curiosity

Post by Cameraguy Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:10 am

First things first...I know this piece of equipment is priceless,especially with the story behind it. BUT...I'm curious. Does anyone want to venture a guess as to what something like this would be worth?
    Thanks!
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:46 pm

nice Bike, I was trying to see what make it was? Raleigh?, I had one similar with 3 speed, the rod brakes are the worst in the rain, mind my bike skills were not the best either then, its a neat system and would happily take a bike like that again. Gears would make it practical for riding around on if it does not have any, you can get the parts easy, or cruise around on it as is, they give a pretty good work out, have to find out what type it is and can get an idea of price round that, the seat has to be 50-70 on its own, but its a shame to strip parts off these things
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:51 am

Lol...Not parting out or even thinking of selling it. It was a helluva gift from this fine man. I was just curious if anyone had an idea.
    Cheers ya'll
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:22 pm

I wouldn't sell it either, and any alterations I suggested are just an option (lol I like working on bikes, original is best though) are you going to take it out for a ride? am sure if there are any issues with (mech wise)it a good bike shop will sort you out,

sorry just to ask what make is it

Cheers

John
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:08 pm

Yupper,it is a Raleigh... "The All Steel Bicycle". No worries on taking this baby for a ride. It will go on display with pics of it being presented,hopefully along with a dressed mannequin.
    :)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:56 am