Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

Souvenir Helmet

Jonhno

Souvenir Helmet Empty Souvenir Helmet

Post by Jonhno Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:49 am

Apparently this one was brought back by a Canadian Soldier, I am hoping to try and get more details which would be nice, but its a Model 1916 helmet, one pin missing but it allows for the date '1916' to be seen on the liner.  The paint is very fragile (could be scrapped off) and further reading I found out the paint for each company was weighed out in pounds, so I wonder if it was a dry form and mixed during application
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    edstorey
    edstorey

Souvenir Helmet Empty German Helmet

Post by edstorey Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:53 am

Nice Helmet!
    Jonhno

Souvenir Helmet Empty Re: Souvenir Helmet

Post by Jonhno Sat May 03, 2014 7:37 am

thanks Ed, I just picked up another from a house clearance, refreshing my knowledge on these helmets, its interesting to note that the camo paint (from research) that it was issued by the pound.  It would seem that the paint must have been in dry form and mixed with water before application.  The brown however on this helmet appears oil based, so that is something new for me. Also interesting is the remains on one side of string bunged into the air vent, this was done to stop the wind blowing through.  Also a minor detail the air vent lug on this helmet is different from the one above, this shell being a 66.

Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:47 pm

a friend done all the hard work getting this helmet and has just given me the opportunity to add it to my collection, its a German M42 helmet and appears to have the same "powder" type camo paint applied as what is on WW1 helmets, this one ended up coming back to the states after the war, I found the net in Normandy back in 91 or so, never thought I would be able to put it on a helmet,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:32 am