Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

Infantry reserves in winter whites - photo request

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Infantry reserves in winter whites - photo request Empty Infantry reserves in winter whites - photo request

Post by Infanteer Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:40 pm

Does anyone have any photos they can share of infantry reserves on winter exercise circa 1960-1980? I understand that it was common for the reserves (militia) to wear older pattern uniforms and equipment than the regular forces and I am looking to confirm what would have been in use during this time period. For example, would the nylon (1950 pattern) parkas still have been in use by the militia in the 1960's? 1970's? And when did the militia start using the C2 (64 pattern) rucksack?

Any feedback appreciated including anecdotal info from guys who served during that period.

Last edited by Infanteer on Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    edstorey
    edstorey

Infantry reserves in winter whites - photo request Empty Reserve Equipment Ramblings

Post by edstorey Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:56 pm

I think the availability of newer kit for some Reserve units may have been influenced on how close the Reserve unit was to a Regular Force unit. In the case of my old Reserve regiment the Lanark and Renfrew Scottish out of Pembroke, when I joined in 1978 we had second-hand combats and boots but new berets. We were though issued with 1964 Pattern Web along with C2 Rucksacks which I think was due to our proximity to CFB Petawawa. At the same time the Reserve regiments in Ottawa were still being issued with 1951 Pattern Web (along with some 1937 Pattern) and either made due with the Large Pack or the C1 Cargo Pack. If I remember correctly, we only got issued respirators for Gas Hut training. The L&R finally got Balmorals in about 1980 and I remember a tri-wall of used ones showed up, some from WWII which the SNCOs scooped up, but most were from the 1960s and had been used by the Black Watch.

We got issued winter kit in the fall of 1978 and it was for the most part all new and of the current type in use. The only really old piece of winter kit we were issued was the white Rucksack cover which dated from the 1950s.

During the Militia concentrations in Petawawa in from 1978 until 1982, I noticed most of the Regiments were using 1951 Pattern Web. The 1951 Pattern Basic Pouches were a popular item for those who could get them as they were very practical for carrying C1 and C2 magazines. WWII slings and 9mm Pistol holsters were also quite plentiful and it was always a challenge to get a newer model sling for the FNC1A1 as the WWII slings were too short.

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:11 am