Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Vimy Memorial

qsamike
    qsamike

Vimy Memorial Empty Vimy Memorial

Post by qsamike Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:46 am

Good Morning Everyone.....

For your viewing pleasure.....

Picked this up a while ago.....

It was from the family of one of the sculptors - stone masons sent from Canada who worked on the Vimy Memorial.....

They had a photo album of the construction but since the pictures were glued into it and there were a large number of other family members in it they decided to keep it, they said they would take some pictures and send them on to me.....

In digging the foundations for the memorial a Nose Cap from an German Artillery Shell was found and he mounted it on a piece of the stone used to make the main portion of the memorial.....

There is a name and date written on the bottom but it is in pencil and very very faint and I do not want to use my usual routine to read it.....

Mike

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    Jonhno

Vimy Memorial Empty Re: Vimy Memorial

Post by Jonhno Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:44 am

thats an interesting item, would be interesting to see the photo's if you are able to get some copies
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:48 am

That is an interesting piece in deed. I wonder if you were to take a few photos of the pencil markings and manipulated them through a photo editing program, if that would help better to read what it says.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:04 am

pylon1357 wrote:That is an interesting piece in deed. I wonder if you were to take a few photos of the pencil markings and manipulated them through a photo editing program, if that would help better to read what it says.

Yes I have tried the photo route, I can make out the name R. William or Williams and the date 1929 - 193?, there is a little more but is too badly rubbed.....

I had to do some typing of War Diary documents that were the 5th carbon copy and were quite faint and were over 100 years of age..... The way that I was able to read them was to fill a woman's perfume atomizer with wood alcohol and sprayed the typing and typed real fast...... The fumes only allowed me to do 4 to 5 pages a day before I got a little buzz but in the end I got all 600 pages typed......

Mike

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:32 am