Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Brantford's Cenotaph

muskey124
    muskey124

Brantford's Cenotaph Empty Brantford's Cenotaph

Post by muskey124 Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:39 am

Here are some pictures of the cenotaph here in Brantford Ont. Sorry about the quality of pics, but I couldn't see the screen on my phone all that good because of the sun.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    48th
    48th

Brantford's Cenotaph Empty Re: Brantford's Cenotaph

Post by 48th Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:39 am

Very nice monument, looks fairly new.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:51 am

Very nice monument. I hope it is shown more respect than some of the others lately. A graffiti artist would have field day with those large flat surfaces.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    edstorey
    edstorey

Brantford's Cenotaph Empty Brantford Memorials

Post by edstorey Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:16 pm

The Brantford War Memorial dates from 1933 and was designed by Walter S. Allward, the same artist who designed the Vimy Memorial. Unfortunately it was permanently altered, and from my perspective not for the better, with the addition of the WWII figures in I believe the 1990s. Brantford also has a lovely Bell Telephone Memorial which commemorates the invention of the telephone in Brantford, was also designed by Allward and was unveiled in 1917. Thankfully this one has not been altered.

ED
    muskey124
    muskey124

Post by muskey124 Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:24 am

Ed
    Thanks for the info. I moved to Brantford a few years ago, so I don't know what it looked like before the SWW figures were added, but I like it. There is also a monument for the people that served in the Boer War, I will try and get a few pictures when I go past there this week. And I will have to find the Bell Telephone Memorial, I don't remember seeing it.
    Len
    edstorey
    edstorey

Brantford's Cenotaph Empty Brantford Memorial

Post by edstorey Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:38 am

I can understand the need by a community to 'update' a war memorial as a lot had happened since many of them were erected following the Great War. This enthusiasm should also be tempered with some common sense and an overall view of maintaining the original look and feel of the memorial. In this case to go and tamper with an Allward memorial is very much like modifying a famous painting. There are several design and balance elements that an artist takes into consideration when designing a memorial; and in this case to go and stick some mediocre statues onto the most prominent part of the work was in my opinion, a very ill-conceived choice. Without even talking about 'balance', the prominence of the statues tells me that Canada's WWII contribution is now more important then the other eras.

Go look at the Bell Memorial, it is just down the road. Some of the design elements and imagery of this memorial were reflected at Vimy.
    muskey124
    muskey124

Post by muskey124 Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:40 am

I see your point Ed, now that I know who designed the cenotaph. It seems that we have this need to change things that don't need to be changed at all. I walked past it again last week and thought about it, and I could see the similarities between this one and the Vimy Ridge Memorial, especially, from the side, which I didn't get a picture. You can just see it, on the right hand side of this picture of the Brantford armouries.  I also took some pictures of 3 other memorials, all across the street from this one, that I will post in a different thread.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:57 pm