Need help with

gimpycanuck

Need help with

Post by gimpycanuck on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:53 am

Hi all, I am new at researching my Uncle's 2nd World war record, sadly he passed in 1972 plus I have very little to go on as my Uncle came from a strong Mennonite community, and from what I have learned his was not a popular choice. As a Mennonite myself I feel cut of the same cloth as my Uncle and remember him fondly. I am unclear but from snippets I have received from family he served with the Lord Strathcona Horse as a dispatch rider as well as tanker. He was slightly wounded by shrapnel while in service. I want to learn as much as I can, as my love and interest in WWII was born from the mystique of my Uncles service in the war. What direction and information should I need for this research, as little is available from my family.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Secondly, and certainly less important to me is the identification of a patch that I believe may have been 2nd World War vintage. It is a very unique patch, as I have never seen one before and all research has let me to a dead end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I could use any help I can get, especially with the research on my Uncle's war record

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Re: Need help with

Post by pylon1357 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:58 am

For your uncles service. Contact the LAC (Library and Archives Canada) I have provided a link that should guide you through the ordering process. If you have any questions regarding the process, post them and someone here will likely be along to help out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bill

Post by Bill on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:08 am

Fort Churchill was the site of rocket testing post war. Both Canadian and US forces were involved, plus government and non-government agencies.

Bill

Post by Bill on Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:10 am

Can you read the shoulder title on your grandfather's uniform?

Infanteer

Post by Infanteer on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:06 pm

The holster appears to be leather as it is reflecting light. I wonder where this photo was taken and if it might possibly be a captured holster?

edstorey

Holster

Post by edstorey on Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:08 pm

The holster appears to be leather for a German P38. The photograph may have been taken in Europe at the end of the war.

barriefield-brian

Post by barriefield-brian on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:18 pm

That's a nice patch. I have never seen one like it. Cheers Brian

edstorey

Fort Churchill

Post by edstorey on Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:41 pm

Fort Churchill was the used for arctic and winter warfare training and testing, which is why it was used to test rockets.

gimpycanuck

Post by gimpycanuck on Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:12 pm

I can not read the shoulder as the picture was not cared for before I got it, and yes I wondered about the holster, also the boots he is wearing just seemed different. I wish my family had been so close lipped about his service, and unfortunately most have died off.

edstorey

Boots

Post by edstorey on Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:29 pm

The Boots are Dispatch Rider (Motorcycle) Boots as are the DR Breaches that he is wearing.

gimpycanuck

Boots

Post by gimpycanuck on Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:17 pm

Thanks for the info on the boots, I knew my Uncle had done dispatch riding, and duty on tanks. But that is all I can find or learn about. I never did figure how a prairie boy from Niverville, Manitoba ended up with the Lord Strathcona Horse which I believe was more on the West coast, but I could be mistaken.

gimpycanuck

Post by gimpycanuck on Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:38 pm

I think I figured out the holster. I believe it to be a GERMAN WW2 ARMY BROWNING HI-POWER GUN PISTOL BROWN LEATHER HOLSTER TYPE2, whether he had the original FN Browning Hi Power pistol made for the Germans, will be a mystery for me

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:04 am

Current date/time is Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:04 am