Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+5
edstorey
Infanteer
Bill
pylon1357
gimpycanuck
9 posters

Need help with

gimpycanuck

Need help with Empty Need help with

Post by gimpycanuck Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:53 am

Hi all, I am new at researching my Uncle's 2nd World war record, sadly he passed in 1972 plus I have very little to go on as my Uncle came from a strong Mennonite community, and from what I have learned his was not a popular choice. As a Mennonite myself I feel cut of the same cloth as my Uncle and remember him fondly. I am unclear but from snippets I have received from family he served with the Lord Strathcona Horse as a dispatch rider as well as tanker. He was slightly wounded by shrapnel while in service. I want to learn as much as I can, as my love and interest in WWII was born from the mystique of my Uncles service in the war. What direction and information should I need for this research, as little is available from my family.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Secondly, and certainly less important to me is the identification of a patch that I believe may have been 2nd World War vintage. It is a very unique patch, as I have never seen one before and all research has let me to a dead end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I could use any help I can get, especially with the research on my Uncle's war record
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Need help with Empty Re: Need help with

Post by pylon1357 Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:58 am

For your uncles service. Contact the LAC (Library and Archives Canada) I have provided a link that should guide you through the ordering process. If you have any questions regarding the process, post them and someone here will likely be along to help out.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:08 am

Fort Churchill was the site of rocket testing post war. Both Canadian and US forces were involved, plus government and non-government agencies.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:10 am

Can you read the shoulder title on your grandfather's uniform?
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:06 pm

The holster appears to be leather as it is reflecting light. I wonder where this photo was taken and if it might possibly be a captured holster?
    edstorey
    edstorey

Need help with Empty Holster

Post by edstorey Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:08 pm

The holster appears to be leather for a German P38. The photograph may have been taken in Europe at the end of the war.
    barriefield-brian
    barriefield-brian

Post by barriefield-brian Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:18 pm

That's a nice patch. I have never seen one like it. Cheers Brian
    edstorey
    edstorey

Need help with Empty Fort Churchill

Post by edstorey Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:41 pm

Fort Churchill was the used for arctic and winter warfare training and testing, which is why it was used to test rockets.
    gimpycanuck

Post by gimpycanuck Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:12 pm

I can not read the shoulder as the picture was not cared for before I got it, and yes I wondered about the holster, also the boots he is wearing just seemed different. I wish my family had been so close lipped about his service, and unfortunately most have died off.
    edstorey
    edstorey

Need help with Empty Boots

Post by edstorey Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:29 pm

The Boots are Dispatch Rider (Motorcycle) Boots as are the DR Breaches that he is wearing.
    gimpycanuck

Need help with Empty Boots

Post by gimpycanuck Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:17 pm

Thanks for the info on the boots, I knew my Uncle had done dispatch riding, and duty on tanks. But that is all I can find or learn about. I never did figure how a prairie boy from Niverville, Manitoba ended up with the Lord Strathcona Horse which I believe was more on the West coast, but I could be mistaken.
    gimpycanuck

Post by gimpycanuck Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:38 pm

I think I figured out the holster. I believe it to be a GERMAN WW2 ARMY BROWNING HI-POWER GUN PISTOL BROWN LEATHER HOLSTER TYPE2, whether he had the original FN Browning Hi Power pistol made for the Germans, will be a mystery for me
    gimpycanuck

Need help with Empty I was so wrong

Post by gimpycanuck Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:27 pm

Its amazing how far offtrack I managed to get. I was finally given three letters my Aunt received from my Uncle . At the time of these letters he seems to be in Holland with the 7th Recce. He mentions all the good natured ribbing between him and the boys from Montreal, Prarie Boy from a town in Manitoba no one had ever heard of vs Big city Montrealers. He states how much happier he is to have been transferred to this unit. But, no mention of his previous service or from which unit. If any of you can help as I am back to square one, but at least I can be sure of this one.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:17 pm

7th Recce was the recce regiment for 3 Canadian Infantry Divsion. The regimental name was the 17th Duke of Yorks Royal Canadian Hussars, and as you said they were from Montreal.
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:33 am

agree it appears to be a browning high power holster, as mentioned above write to the LAC and all your questions will be answered, will be a bit of a wait for the file but well worth it and you will have everything

good luck

Chuck Biscuits

Post by Chuck Biscuits Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Since im currently sitting with a tote that contains my holsters from ww2 in front of me i figured it the ideal time to compare..im looking at a nazi marked brown leather for the f.n.browning,a 1st pattern p38,a 2nd pattern p38,and both versions of the canadian web for the inglis browning...i think Ed is correct on both counts.that is a 2nd pattern p38 holster which he likely liberated and hes got a 4 medal ribbon bar on the tunic.my guess for the medals (left to right),1939-45 star,france and germany star,defense medal and c.v.s.m with maple leaf.it would suggest the photo was taken in 1945-46.
    George G
    George G

Post by George G Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:45 pm

My father in law was from a Mennonite family from Aberdeen Sask. near Saskatoon. He joined the the No 8 General Hospital in Dundurn. Sask. He landed on D day + 13 and went north.

His mom and dad were okay with him signing up but after the war the church wanted him to apologize to the congregation. Since he had nothing to be ashamed of he told them to stick it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:16 am