Silver Content in WW2 medals

George G

Silver Content in WW2 medals

Post by George G on Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:45 pm

My father in law never received his medals after WW2 so in the 1990's he applied for and got them. There is no tarnish so i'm wondering if they have any silver at all.

Did the original medals, Volunteer, Defense, War Medals have a silver content? Originals that I have have that have that tarnish patina. Would they be Solid sterling silver or Silver plate?
    edstorey

Silver Content

Post by edstorey on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:10 am

Google it, the answer is on line.
    George G

Re: Silver Content in WW2 medals

Post by George G on Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:12 pm

Sometimes on forums, when I don't have anything useful to say about the subject, I don't say anything at all.
    Tankermike

Post by Tankermike on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:34 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Volunteer_Service_Medal

If the moderators are wondering why there is a lack of members posting and why members are leaving, perhaps you should read the above response from Ed. What's the point of having a forum when responses are negative, condensing, rude and inappropriate. Moderators time to grow a pair and ban ignorant people.
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Yesterday at 5:09 pm

edstorey wrote:Google it, the answer is on line.

I know Ed has been banned and will not see this post, but Google is NOT the end all and be all of answers.

In regards to the WWII issue of the CVSM, it is .925 Silver. The Canadian variant of the Defense Medal and 1939-45 War Medal, they too are both struck in silver.

However, that is NOT the question here. The question is " are the WWII medals issued in the 1990's, still silver?" Honestly, I do not know. I am a medals collector and assume they are. I know exactly what the OP is asking as I have noted the same thing in regards to my uncles medals reissued in the 1990s.

I have a display at my fathers house honouring 2 of my uncles service in the Second World War. Two sets of medals are in the same frame. One consisting of the 39-45 Star, Italy Star, CVSM, War Medal and Defense Medal. The other the 1939-45 Star, Italy Star, CVSM and War Medal. Not all the silver medals have tarnished you would think they would all be pretty even, but this is not the case.

What I suspect is, Yes they are silver, but possibly a slightly different content from the first run medals back in the late 40's.

Google does not have this answer, least not that I have found yet. Still looking but honestly not really hard at the moment. Its about 1/2 way down my 3 page to do list in regards to my medals collection.

barriefield-brian

Post by barriefield-brian Yesterday at 7:38 pm

I may be wrong but was under the impression that when all the "silver" medal supply ran out the newer replacements were made from cupro-nickle. Cheers Brian

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:19 am