Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Relatives Medals/mementos

CIrwin85

Relatives Medals/mementos  Empty Relatives Medals/mementos

Post by CIrwin85 Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:54 pm

A relative of mine served with the Calgary Regiment and later the BC Dragoons. He was involved with Monte Cassino in the Sherman.

He built this box himself. The backing is made from his uniform.
    Relatives Medals/mementos  71fb8f10

Karl Troop Cross, must have picked this up along the way somewhere..
    Relatives Medals/mementos  4b8eef10

Kaschie Lighter, he was a heavy smoker so I’m assuming he carried this around with him most of the war
    Relatives Medals/mementos  E034fa10
    barriefield-brian
    barriefield-brian

Relatives Medals/mementos  Empty Re: Relatives Medals/mementos

Post by barriefield-brian Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:32 pm

Very nice display. Cheers Brian
    CIrwin85

Post by CIrwin85 Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:03 pm

barriefield-brian wrote:Very nice display.   Cheers Brian

Thanks Brian,

As a newbie to Canadian Army research, (Done extensive RAF research prior through the National Archives etc ) what’s the best place for me to learn about the movements of the Calgary Regiment and B.C. Dragoons in Italy.

I have this relatives military records on request. They’re backed up a few months so in the mean time looking to further my research.
    barriefield-brian
    barriefield-brian

Post by barriefield-brian Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:37 pm

If you can locate the war diaries they would have the locations but not sure where you could find them. That medal looks interesting, must be Italian? Dont see much Italian items here, not sure why. Cheers Brian
    CIrwin85

Post by CIrwin85 Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:52 pm

barriefield-brian wrote:If you can locate the war diaries they would have the locations but not sure where you could find them. That medal looks interesting, must be Italian? Dont see much Italian items here, not sure why.  Cheers Brian

Which medal are you referring too? The Karl Troop Cross?

It was an axis medal, “... was awarded until the end of the First World War to soldiers of the Austro-Hungarian Army, regardless of rank, who had been with a combatant unit for at least twelve weeks and who had actually served at the front.”

I’m assuming he picked it off a German officer considering he also had a luger too.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:22 am

There was no such unit in the Canadian army designated 14 RCAC. The 14 RCAC 1 CAB patches are fantasy pieces that have been discussed at length by the collecting community. Depending on the RCAC interpretation, Royal Canadian Armoured Regiments did not exist. It was 14 CAR (Canadian Armoured Regiment, Calgary Tank). The Royal designation for the Canadian Armoured Corps was not granted until 1 August 1945, and 1 CAB had been disbanded by that date.
    CIrwin85

Post by CIrwin85 Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:06 am

Very interesting. Thanks for the information. lll have to dive into this some more.

So basically they didn’t receive the 14RCAR until pretty much after the Italy campaign ended which the brigade was basically disbanded anyways? I’m fairly certain at some point whether it was after the disbanding of the CAB that he joined the BC Dragoons.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:18 am

The patch was never an authorized issue. It is something a maker made up for private sale.
    CIrwin85

Post by CIrwin85 Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:36 am

Bill wrote:The patch was never an authorized issue. It is something a maker made up for private sale.

oh wow. I'm not doubting my relatives service but I wonder why he would display a formation patch that's not technically legit.
    Do you know of any other posts that discuss this badge? I tried doing a search here and couldnt find anything. Thanks for your help Bill.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:08 pm

Been discussed at length on FB pages, and I think on the British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum. It is possible he picked the patches up at the end of the war in the UK, or at some later date.
    CIrwin85

Post by CIrwin85 Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:28 pm

Bill wrote:Been discussed at length on FB pages, and I think on the British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum. It is possible he picked the patches up at the end of the war in the UK, or at some later date.

you young wipper snapper and your facebook Wink I dont use it much these days so Ill check out the other forum you mentioned. Really appreciate the help Bill, thank you.

ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:53 am

I know the RCAC patch has been discussed at length. I was hoping to have some closure on this if possible. The threads I have read on this patch seem to point to this being a "reproduction". My feeling is the patch was period produced, pre 1945, but never issued since the designation on the patch was never approved. As such would it not have some collectability ? There is no telling how the patches ended up with original owner? It is possible he acquired them to create the box?

Do you know if your relative had these items since the war and created the box from items he obtained during his service only?

Thanks,

Ypres
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:06 am

The patches were available in quantity at British badge fairs for years. They show up on ebay constantly. There is no documentation or photographic evidence of them in wear. They do not fit any combination of abbreviations that existed or were anticipated at the time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:11 am