Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Mk II helmet with service number?

Didier
    Didier

Mk II helmet with service number? Empty Mk II helmet with service number?

Post by Didier Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:50 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have two questions, actually: first, is the C290 written on the lid the service number of its original owner? And, secondly, do you think the net is the correct type for a WWII Canadian helmet?

Thank you for your replies! party2
    Darrell
    Darrell

Mk II helmet with service number? Empty Re: Mk II helmet with service number?

Post by Darrell Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:39 pm

Hi Didier

I cannot say about the net.

The number C290 could possibly be a Canadian Army Regimental Number of the owner. C1 to C1000 numbers were assigned to soldiers, upon joining, for "A" Battery, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery. Not sure what they did in the war. And the soldier kept that number even if they changed jobs or trades.

It could also be some sort of inventory control number added to the inside of that ink stamp box.  Can you read the ink stamp word(s)?

regards
    Darrell

Didier likes this post

Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:11 pm

Hi Darrell,

I haven't received the helmet yet - it should reach me by tomorrow, if everything goes well (which is not always the case in France, these days lol! )

I will take more detailed photos as soon as I get it.

The net does not strike me as being a modern reproduction, but I have no idea whether this is Canadian made one. At any rate, I don't think it can possibly be original to the lid, as there are no visible signs of rust on it.

Regards,

Didier
    Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:34 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Darrell, I think you were right about that c290 number: it definitely looks like a batch number of some sort.
    So I guess the helmet never saw any real military "action".

Regards,

Didier
    edstorey
    edstorey

Mk II helmet with service number? Empty Mk II Canadian Helmet

Post by edstorey Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:23 pm

Your Mk II Canadian helmet has what appears to be a movie prop stamp and control number in it.   Anything in felt tip marker is post-1953.

Didier likes this post

Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:36 am

That is unexpected, I would say, but then, if this helmet participated in The Longest Day (1962), for instance, that makes it all the more interesting to me.

...But that should not be the case, as I.M.M. LTD seem to have been active since 2007 only!

So the C must stand for Canadian and there were at least 290 of them...
    edstorey
    edstorey

Post by edstorey Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:25 pm

Perhaps it is a shelf or rack number 29D.
    Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:49 am

You are right: there could be a D at the end of that code.
    The main thing for me is that the helmet is period correct. I have found a two-tone net for it, to make it look more Canadian Wink

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 5:48 pm