Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question

Didier
    Didier

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Empty Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question

Post by Didier Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:07 am

Hello,

I have a question about the rank chevrons worn by the Regina Rifles on their battle dresses in June 1944: were they always coloured, as seen on most photos, or could the standard chevrons still be found on their uniforms? I have read somewhere that the Regina rifles started wearing coloured chevrons at the end of WWII, but I would like to know whether uncoloured chevrons would still be consistent with a BD worn on 6 June 1944 and later during the Battle of Normandy.

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Didier
    Didier
    Didier

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Empty Re: Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question

Post by Didier Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:11 am

Here is a photo:

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Img_2030

My impression is that the BD is at least partly (or wholly?) made up, in particular as regards the title, but the different elements may be authentic (the BD itself was made in January of 1943).
    Wouter
    Wouter

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Empty Re: Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question

Post by Wouter Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:04 am

They should have the dark chevrons for a rifle regiment, in this case with a red backing. Normal chevrons, though not impossible, are a peculiar sight on a rifle regiment battledress. Wouldn't be for me!

Didier likes this post

Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:44 am

Dank je wel, Wouter !
    Then I shall have to do away with the chevrons, if they are a later addition. That way, this battle dress blouse will be consistent with a 1944 Regina rifleman impression.
    The fact that this could be a made up BD blouse is not a problem for me, provided the insignia are original WWII items. I have come to regard a majority of the WWII BD blouses floating around either as made up or much later "original" stuff anyway.
    Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:36 pm

Here are some closer views of the insignia - genuine or reproductions, that I cannot tell.

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Img20223
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Img20224
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Img20222
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Img20226
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Img20225

Apparently, there is one such configuration at the Canada War Museum of Adegem, in Belgium, but that does not mean that the BD blouse they used for that mannequin is historically correct :

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question 1280px10
    edstorey
    edstorey

Post by edstorey Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:29 pm

You need to own a copy of 'Fabric of War' by Bill Alexander, his book will answer any question you have about the authenticity of a badge or badge combination found on a BD blouse.

Didier likes this post

Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:30 am

edstorey wrote:You need to own a copy of 'Fabric of War' by Bill Alexander, his book will answer any question you have about the authenticity of a badge or badge combination found on a BD blouse.

Well, actually, as far as the combination is concerned, I have very little hope this one is genuine: too many details point to a more modern set up.

I am not sure I will be able to grab a copy of the book, but I will look for it, thank you.
    Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:52 am

edstorey wrote:You need to own a copy of 'Fabric of War' by Bill Alexander, his book will answer any question you have about the authenticity of a badge or badge combination found on a BD blouse.

I have ordered the book ^^
    LSR
    LSR

Post by LSR Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:58 am

For what I understood there are no badge backings in that book, and they are  just as important as the front of the badge.
    About the badges on your BD: Titles seem Canadian made to me, can you see the backing, when you lift it a bit?
    Divisional badges look also Canadian made (melton) to me because of the cross thread that is visible in the mot nips, felt does not have a cross thread.

Kind regards
    Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:19 am

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Img20247

From what little surface of the backing is showing underneath the stitching, it seems to be light-coloured.

Bill Alexander says it is difficult to distinguish WW2 Regina Rifle Regiment titles from post-war titles, but the fact remains that the khaki chevrons seem out of place on this tunic, even though they are not altogether impossible.

Regards,

Didier
    LSR
    LSR

Post by LSR Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:35 am

Light as in tan or khaki? Or white?
    Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:05 am

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Img20248

I would say it looks a shade lighter than Canadian webbing.

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Img20249
    LSR
    LSR

Post by LSR Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:59 am

Hence the difference in wear of the badges ,I think it is not very likely this is a wartime badged BD.
    So if you want to change the chevrons, i do have a correct pair lying around for you.
    Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:51 pm

I agree with you that this tunic is an unlikely candidate for a wartime battle dress blouse, but, provided its insignia are period-correct, I am happy with it.

A correct pair of corporal chevrons would be great, though party2

What do you think of the backing of the titles?
    edstorey
    edstorey

Post by edstorey Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:34 pm

You can not go wrong with canvas insignia.

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Regina10
    Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:08 am

Yes indeed, they were only produced during the Second World War, I have been told.
    LSR
    LSR

Post by LSR Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:45 am

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Img_2011
    Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Img_2010
    Canadian made title, I can not tell war or post war. But it representive for ww2, and indeed what Ed says canvas titles always good, you just have to spend a little more money Wink
    If the chevrons are something for you contact me via PM.

Cheers

PS I also do have a mk3 helmet for sale at the moment, if you might need one for your d-day impression.
    Nico62fr
    Nico62fr

Post by Nico62fr Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:25 pm

Hey Didier, I read your topic on our French "passion militaria".

I was wondering the same thing about the colour of the NCO ranks.
    So I should try to find black on red backing.

Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:10 pm

Hi Nico party2
    As a matter of fact, I have decided to leave my BD blouse as is - with its khaki chevrons, that is - and go for a Battle of Normandy impression. Bill Alexander (whose book I ordered from Canada a while back) was of the opinion that the khaki chevrons would not have been utterly impossible towards the end of WW2 due to insignia shortages. Okay, I must admit that I have been unable to find any conclusive proof to uphold that theory, but, on the other hand, I have come to like the way my setup now looks, so why should I bother?

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Img20287
    Nico62fr
    Nico62fr

Post by Nico62fr Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:16 am

This is very good to see.

Did you put a Canadian shell dressing under the helmet net ?
    Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:00 am

No, I didn't. There were no Canadian shell dressings available in France at the time, so I chose a British one instead, but, who knows, maybe Canadian troops were issued British shell dressings in 1944? That would have to be confirmed by the more knowledgeable members on the forum, though.

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Img20290
    Nico62fr
    Nico62fr

Post by Nico62fr Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:51 am

Yes they probably got british ones.

May be if you turn it on the other side you don't see the manufacturer name ?
    Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:32 am

This one is definitely British: manufactured by Robinson & Sons in Chesterfield (Derbyshire, England) in June 1941.
    Nico62fr
    Nico62fr

Post by Nico62fr Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:18 am

Hello, here come the two different titles I have

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question 2023-011

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question 2023-012
    LSR
    LSR

Post by LSR Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:21 pm

Didier wrote:Hi Nico party2
    As a matter of fact, I have decided to leave my BD blouse as is - with its khaki chevrons, that is - and go for a Battle of Normandy impression. Bill Alexander (whose book I ordered from Canada a while back) was of the opinion that the khaki chevrons would not have been utterly impossible towards the end of WW2 due to insignia shortages. Okay, I must admit that I have been unable to find any conclusive proof to uphold that theory, but, on the other hand, I have come to like the way my setup now looks, so why should I bother?

Regina Rifle Regiment battle dress question Img20287

Looks good so far, but I would loose the bandoleer you do not need that with a stengun. And I also doubt if corporals carried bren mags....... But further than that very nice set up.
    Do you have a Canadian sten?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:38 am