Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

WW2 webbing braces: right braces only?

Didier
    Didier

WW2 webbing braces: right braces only? Empty WW2 webbing braces: right braces only?

Post by Didier Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:58 am

WW2 webbing braces: right braces only? D-day-11
    WW2 webbing braces: right braces only? R_3410

Hello to all,

I am under the impression that some Canadians wore two right webbing braces on D-Day instead of the more traditional pair made up of a right brace and a left brace (with a loop) - could you confirm that impression?

Regards,

Didier
    edstorey
    edstorey

WW2 webbing braces: right braces only? Empty Right Braces?

Post by edstorey Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:41 pm

Two right braces, what would lead you to that conclusion?
    Didier
    Didier

WW2 webbing braces: right braces only? Empty Re: WW2 webbing braces: right braces only?

Post by Didier Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:57 pm

edstorey wrote:Two right braces, what would lead you to that conclusion?

The photos above. To the best I can make things out, there does not seem to be a loop on the left hand braces.
    LSR
    LSR

WW2 webbing braces: right braces only? Empty Re: WW2 webbing braces: right braces only?

Post by LSR Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:12 am

Top photo has the loop on the inside. Clear to see on the right brace. It just slipped down.
    Didier
    Didier

Post by Didier Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:25 am

You may be right, here, but what about the second picture? I was not able to see the loop, hence my assumption that two right hand braces may have been worn. The loop is logically on the left brace, so, in the second instance, I cannot see how the aforesaid loop could be located so far down on the brace.
    37patt
    37patt

Post by 37patt Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:50 am

Just to muddy the water a little, the British Columbia Regiment "DCOR" war diary has an entry in their Battalion Orders Part I from 18 April 1941 that states;

407.   Web Equipment
             Belts - braces, will not be passed through the loop at the back.  (in the original the 'will not' is underlined)

So even if they have a left and right brace they weren't to use the loop. At the time they were training in Nanaimo B.C.

There is no reason given for this of course and it's likely that it is some Regimental thing but it leads to the possibility of other units doing the same thing as well.

Didier likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:23 am