Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Starting to Collect

nh0gl3

Starting to Collect Empty Starting to Collect

Post by nh0gl3 Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:28 am

Hello All,
    I am just starting to get interested in the Fenian Raids, the North West Rebellion and purchasing Canadian Medals. I am looking for a trusted dealer and was wondering if you could make some recommendations?
    I am specifically looking for: A Canadian General Service Medal (with Red River 1870 Clasp), A Canadian General Service Medal to the Brockville Battalion and North West Canada Medals (with and without the Saskatchewan Clasp).
    Any help would be appreciated!

Darrell
    Darrell

Starting to Collect Empty Re: Starting to Collect

Post by Darrell Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:47 am

Hi....errr....nh0gl3

Nice theme. Are you already a medal collector or will this be your first foray into medals?

I don't know any "un-trusted" dealers here in Canada so I can easily recommend (in no particular order) Tanya at Medals of War, Emedals, Arctic Medals, Marway Militaria and Toronto Military Antiques. All found online easily enough but if you want the links, let me know.

All carry CGSMs in a variety of clasp dates and units. They have the odd NW Canada but there is a lot of competition for them. I hope you have deep pockets if you are just starting out with medals like this!! Wink

Good luck. Very Happy

regards
    Darrell
    nh0gl3

Post by nh0gl3 Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:55 am

Thanks Darrell, Yes I've been a long time collector. Mostly WWII and WWI, but just recently got into Early Canadian as I've had more interest in Canadian and my early history (United Empire Loyalist and later RAF). I've dealt with Emedals and Marway before. Have you ever dealt with Fraser Medals?
    Darrell
    Darrell

Post by Darrell Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:05 pm

Hi nh0gl3

No, I can't say I have ...yet, but haven't heard anything bad about them either. Their prices don't seem outrageous. Just nothing I'm after. For what it is worth, Fraser Medals is a listed link on the British Medals Forum's dealers thread. A worthy Forum to be on. There's an ongoing thread about the CGSMs identified by their different type and a good "QSAs to Canadians" thread as well.

I started out collecting First World War medals to Canadian Cavalry and Mounted Rifles but went forward in time to add groups with an LS&GC to Cav and Armour up to and including Korea.

Only within the past few years has my eye turned to in-theme QSA and CGSM medals. Very selective buys and other than one from Toronto Military Antiques, I've sourced them locally vice online. Great to be part of a Collecting Society as we have here in NB/Maritimes. I don't plan to seek NW Canada medals. Too few and fewer to Cavalrymen at that. And if a group in-theme that had a NWC in it was offered to me, I'd probably pass anyway. I'm not after rare, high-ranking, famous, casualty or Gallantry groups from the get go as I find my $ goes further! That was a choice I made early when the wife and kids needed things like food and clothes!!

Good luck and welcome.

regards
    Darrell
    nh0gl3

Post by nh0gl3 Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:56 am

Thanks Darrell! I will check out that other forum.
    Good to know. All the best in your collecting as well.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:08 pm

I like your style. Lately I have been looking more and more into very similar medals.
    You may wish to check with Vimy Militaria as well. He is retired CAF Intel Officer and very knowledgeable. A quick google search will find his site, but I could post the link if have trouble finding it.

Good luck with your search, they are certainly out there.

nh0gl3 wrote:Hello All,
    I am just starting to get interested in the Fenian Raids, the North West Rebellion and purchasing Canadian Medals. I am looking for a trusted dealer and was wondering if you could make some recommendations?
    I am specifically looking for: A Canadian General Service Medal (with Red River 1870 Clasp), A Canadian General Service Medal to the Brockville Battalion and North West Canada Medals (with and without the Saskatchewan Clasp).
    Any help would be appreciated!

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    nh0gl3

Post by nh0gl3 Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:17 am

Thanks Pylon! I will.
    Why would someone not be listed on the medal roll? How much does that affect the value of a medal?
    Is there a separate list for NWC Saskatchewan clasps?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:31 am