Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

LORD STRATCONA'S HORSE - A Mystery

qsamike
    qsamike

LORD STRATCONA'S HORSE - A Mystery Empty LORD STRATCONA'S HORSE - A Mystery

Post by qsamike Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:25 pm

Good Day Everyone......

As the old saying goes “When it Rains it Pours”.....

After all it has been a dry year a very dry year when looking for items from my favorite unit/regiment Lord Strathcona's Horse..... Well my drought has ended and I have found a treasure trove......

I would like to post everything at once and I am sure that every one would enjoy seeing the items but I am going to do something quite mean.....

Post one thing at a time and maybe with a little detective work someone can figure who am talking about.....

Some of these items are quite unique and I have never seen them before in the many years of collecting.....

Mike

The man joined the army on the 14th of May, 1929 and was discharged on the 12th of May, 1954.....

The first item is a Sports Singlet, being a young man on enlistment I am sure that he took part in many sports..... ( I just would not like the number LOL)

Hope you enjoy the artifacts and the mystery......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    qsamike
    qsamike

LORD STRATCONA'S HORSE - A Mystery Empty Re: LORD STRATCONA'S HORSE - A Mystery

Post by qsamike Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:29 am

The next piece of the uniforms is what is know as Stable Jacket or Work Jacket......

This item is in perfect condition with only a couple of age spots.......

Please see photos......

Mike

Hint at one time her held the rank of S.Q.M.S. ...... (Have to post 4th picture on next page not enough room)

qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:31 am

Missing Picture.......

edstorey
    edstorey

LORD STRATCONA'S HORSE - A Mystery Empty Khaki Drill Serive Dress Jacket

Post by edstorey Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:25 am

The uniform is actually a Khaki Drill Service Dress Jacket which could be worn in Canada in the summer time (May to September) with either long or short trousers.   This style of Jacket was worn with a khaki drill collared shirt and black tie and in 1942 had replaced an earlier pattern Jacket with a standup collar which was also worn with a collared khaki drill shirt, but no tie.   It was NOT stable wear as coveralls, and khaki drill denim uniforms were reserved for that purpose.   I cannot state enough that collectors need to purchase, read and absorb good reference material in order to familiarize themselves with what they are handling thus preventing the posting of inaccurate statements and assumptions.  All of these Second World War uniforms have in the last three decades been researched and written about in numerous books and free websites, but apparently the message is still being lost within the collecting community.

The RCAF wore the same KD uniform during the war and this is a photograph lifted from a newpaper obituary which illustrates it in use.

qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:28 pm

I guess I should quit while I am ahead...... As many other members know I only collect Boer War but with over a dozen items, photos and medals I could not refuse the chance to show them right or wrong......

For those that are interested the man's name is:

SP3234 S.Q.M.S. IVAN EDWIN HOCKLEY......

Just finished moving into a new home and had to move over 4000 books mostly pre-W.W.1 reference books.......

M.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:09 pm