Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

New 'Brodie' - Canadian 1st or 5th Division?

GeordieJohn

New 'Brodie' - Canadian 1st or 5th Division? Empty New 'Brodie' - Canadian 1st or 5th Division?

Post by GeordieJohn Tue Sep 19, 2023 11:09 am

Hi Guys - I'm new to the forum (as you can see having difficulties uploading images - 3rd time now. Actually 7th time now LOL).

I would be grateful if anyone can help me with the identification of my new 'Brodie' helmet which I recently bought?

When it arrived I was pleasantly surprised to see that it had a painted insignia on its side that was not shown in the auction images! The helmet has the makers stamping  of  'HS '278' (Hadfield Ltd Sheffield) on the underside of the skirt. If this is at the rear of the helmet, the insignia is on the wearer's left hand side. From its condition and patina I would say that it is definitely and original marking.

The Divisional / Regimental insignia is an oblong approximately 2 3/8 inches long by 1 1/4 inches high. The marking does not appear to belong to a British unit. From my investigations, I think this could possibly be for the 1st Canadian Division, and being a solid block of colour, could this denote it belonged to someone in Divisional HQ?

I note that the 5th Canadian division had similar insignia although this Division had a 'maroon' colour for its markings as opposed to a 'blood-red' colour. I would say that the insignia on my helmet was more of a red colour originally, that has been dulled down by age and dirt.

Thank you for any help you can provide.[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by GeordieJohn on Wed Sep 20, 2023 7:32 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding Images)

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 pm