Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Boer picture?

Ken Turpin

Boer picture? Empty Boer picture?

Post by Ken Turpin Fri Dec 29, 2023 5:37 pm

Good afternoon, new member here. I am on the board of the Indian Head Museum in saskatchewan.  I have come across a very damaged picture that I'm hoping to get some information on.  I believe the picture to be Boer war era. I assumed it was taken locally but it's definitely not our armory. Cpl Richardson VC became our town constable in 1908 so it is possibly from his collection.
    Can anyone confirm Boer War? Any guesses to armory? Thanks.Boer picture? 20231213
    Boer picture? 20231215
    Boer picture? 20231214

Northman and Dklichty like this post

Northman
    Northman

Boer picture? Empty Re: Boer picture?

Post by Northman Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:48 pm

Well that is surely a great picture. I can say I have seen a similar hat being worn by Canadian troops who served with the Yukon Field Force (1898 - 1900).  I don't know if I added the picture correctly. The hat worn in this picture is similar.
    Boer picture? Changi10
    Dklichty

Post by Dklichty Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:26 am

Hello,
    The hats worn by the Yukon field force where made out of straw. The Canadian contingent on South Africa wore the boss of the plains aka Stetson or mountie hat.
    The troops in your picture wear felt slouch hats, Norfolk jacket and trousers with puttees. All pointing to a well equipped English soldiers circa 1898- 1909, I believe they are in a place in the UK or Natal. I will try to do some more research into their armoury, and regiment. I am leaning towards Imperial Yeomanry Volunteers 1900-01
    Hope this helps, I have some sources in case you are wondering ☺
    Dklichty

Boer picture? Empty Oops

Post by Dklichty Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:31 am

They seem not to be wearing any pugaree on their hats, but some have a leather or grosgrain ribbon no insignia are on the up turned from on some hats.
    Northman
    Northman

Post by Northman Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:46 pm

Here is another excellent image of two Yukon Field Force members. Picture taken in 1900. As you can see the hats worn were felt not straw. I believe there is at least two museums that have YFF uniforms like this; New Brunswick Military Historical Museum and the RCR Museum. There is at least one in a private collection.
    Boer picture? Yff-5_10

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:03 pm