Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Long Branch stamp on a Savage No4mk1*

LSR
    LSR

Long Branch stamp on a Savage No4mk1* Empty Long Branch stamp on a Savage No4mk1*

Post by LSR Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:30 pm

On my savage No4Mk1* is a stamp what looks like LB to me.
    Now I have read an article somwhere,that the production in Chicopee (USA) was transferred to Long Branch somewhere in 1944.So that there are rifles with both stamps(LB and S) on the reciever.
    If this is true,is here someone here who can tell a bit more about this?
    Long Branch stamp on a Savage No4mk1* Afbeelding1749.th
    The rifle is deactivated according to the Dutch laws.
    LSR
    LSR

Long Branch stamp on a Savage No4mk1* Empty Re: Long Branch stamp on a Savage No4mk1*

Post by LSR Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:52 am

Nobody????
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Long Branch stamp on a Savage No4mk1* Empty Re: Long Branch stamp on a Savage No4mk1*

Post by Infanteer Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:43 am

To me the stamp looks like a standard letter B because there are serifs on the B which wouldn't be there on a LB stamp. Regardless, there was indeed a connection between Savage and Long Branch during the war. Late in the war Long Branch obtained a large quantity of parts and tooling from Savage who had quit manufacturing No4 rifles. It is perfectly correct to find Canadian made No4's with both LB and Savage marked parts but from what I see in the photo provided this is not one of them.
    GCR817
    GCR817

Post by GCR817 Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:50 pm

I've seen LB rifles with SAVAGE marked small parts on them. I suppose it is possible to find a SAVAGE gun with LB marked parts?

Geoff
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:05 pm

Yes, I believe so. As I understand it, the parts sent to the LB factory from Savage included some receivers and barrels so any combination would be possible in theory. A rifle actually made by Savage and completed by them would be marked "US Property" on the left side of the receiver as all of that company's No4 production was intended to be shipped to England as part of the lend/lease agreement.
    LSR
    LSR

Post by LSR Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks for the info,this one has indeed the US Property stamp.
    That raises the following question,what does the B then mean?Is it an inspectors stamp?
    I've seen it on more rifles,but it's not on every rifle.
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:51 am

A variety of different marks and/or letters can be found in the same position on No4 rifles. From what I've read nobody knows for certain what the marks mean but it "shouldn't" be an inspector's mark as those are well understood and documented. It's a mystery to me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:07 am