Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

Odd badges

sarge5020
    sarge5020

Odd badges Empty Odd badges

Post by sarge5020 Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:29 pm

Here's a few badges from my collection. The Essex Regiment (Tank) badges are as follows: frosted silver officer's badge, brass badge, copper badge and the usual white metal. Bottom row, the CAFVS badge, an Armoured Corps badge without the voids around the tank and a copper RCAC badge. The copper badges and the CAC badge without the voids are unusual and I haven't found them in any reference books. Thought you guys might like to see them.
    Odd badges Odd_ba10
    Bill
    Bill

Odd badges Empty Re: Odd badges

Post by Bill Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:26 pm

Hi sarge, The Essex Regt Tank in brass has been repro'd. Check out this the thread about them on the B&CMBF, http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6761&highlight=essex+regiment+tank.
    The RCAC badge was not made in copper. There have been some of these "recovered" from disposal. They were buried and are corroded by ground chemicals. They may look like copper. Could you give a close up image?
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:57 am

Here you go.
    Odd badges Raca-c10

I was wondering if it was a proto type made for the approval process. Either way, it's an interesting addition to my Armoured Corps badges.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:26 am

Hi sarge, That is a "dug" badge. RCOC used to dispose of obsolete badges by burying them. With the advent of metal detectors, several caches have been found. When buried the chemicals in the soil corrode and leach into the metals, changing their colour and pitting the surface. The RCAC is a classic example of the effects of being buried.
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:36 am

Well there I go, another mistery solved. I was wondering about a copper RCAC bagde. I wouldn't mind finding a few of those cahces of buried badges though. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:25 am