Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

The Memory Project

Darrell
    Darrell

The Memory Project Empty The Memory Project

Post by Darrell Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:40 am

STORIES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR
    This nationwide bilingual project offers an unprecedented account of Canada’s participation in the Second World War through thousands of firsthand veteran testimonials.

http://www.thememoryproject.com/home.aspx

regards
    Darrell
    Martin Howett

The Memory Project Empty Re: The Memory Project

Post by Martin Howett Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:16 pm

Darrell:
    Is there an actual group of people who do these interviews (ie do they travel around the country?) It is my honour to visit two retired RCMP Officers in the Kipness Veterans Center in Edmonton on a very regular basis. Both of these gentlemen belonged to the No 1 Provost Co. This unit only had a complement of approximately 215 men throughout the war. Sgt. George Cutting is the last survivor of the first contingent of this unit to mobilize to Europe, and was one of the very few Canadians to land in Brest in 1940 (although the visit was very short lived). George celebrated his 98 birthday last week. Cpl. Peter Morris is one of a very few survivors of the second contingent to mobilize to Europe. Both of these men were wounded in Italy. It is amazing that two members of a WWII unit that had such a small number of men could both be living in the same veterans center. If this project does travel, a visit to George Cutting could give some insights to events of which there are no other witnesses.

Thank You
    Martin
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:07 am

Veterans Voices of Canada is my non profit organization that I began 6 years ago.Limited funding,but I'm trying to do my part with close to 600 Veterans interviewed. I'm driving to Golden,Burnaby,Victoria and surrounding area tomorrow to do this for the next two weeks.We need as many people as we can get out there to do this.

My current website is sloppy,but that soon will be fixed.Watch out for it,but in the meantime www.vetvoicecan.org or this link;

https://vimeo.com/search?q=allan+cameron

Cheers!
    Martin Howett

Post by Martin Howett Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:04 am

Cameraguy:
    I have a videocam, but am not particularly proficient in it's use. I will go to the Veterans Center tomorrow and talk to George Cutting and see if he would allow me to tape record him, if he is willing, I purchase a recording device of some kind and we can make some arrangement to convey the recordings to you. We live in the same Province so it should not prove to be a problem. I have been on your site a while back and noticed an interview with an MID Winner from the 69th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery. Have you interviewed any others from the 4th LAA RCARegiment? They would have been members of either 32 LAA Battery - 69 LAA Battery - 100 LAA Battery or the Regimental Headquarters of the 4th Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment.

Thank You for your response
    Martin
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:35 am

The Windsor Historical Society http://www.windsorhistoricalsociety.com/ is actively collecting veteran's stories to preserve them for furutre generations.

Cheers,
    John
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:04 am

Hi Martin.That is great! My website will very shortly be updated and have the actual interviews of each Veteran on it.It won't be all at one,but I hope to get other volunteers with professional video editing experience to come n board and help this happen. I have a few ideas I'm working on with that.
    I know I have interviewed many fellows fro the AA regiments,just not sure of their designation at the moment.
    If you have Veterans in your area,I would be happy to visit and document them as well.

alcammy@hotmail.com

Cheers,and keep up the good work!
    Martin Howett

Post by Martin Howett Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:00 pm

Camera Guy:
    I spoke to George Cutting from the No 1 Provost Co. and Jack Owens who was with I believe the 1st Armoured Brigade and both are willing to talk. I need to speak to a woman from the Veterans Center before I proceed, but cannot really see any problems from them. George told me about disembarking in Brest in 1940 walking up a hill and almost immediately walking down the hill and reembarking with a slight delay as someone had to climb the hill again to get his CO's briefcase. I think I would have become worried about my choices at that point, knowing that my CO left only thing that he carried up the hill, at the top of the hillon his first day in a War Zone.
    Thank You
    Martin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:00 am