Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

Researching a WW1 Vet

Tyden

Researching a WW1 Vet Empty Researching a WW1 Vet

Post by Tyden Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi, i found this page which is my great grandfather. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

How would i find out what regiment he was in? Interested in finding some more information about him. Thanks.
    Darrell
    Darrell

Researching a WW1 Vet Empty Re: Researching a WW1 Vet

Post by Darrell Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:01 am

Hi Tyden

Mike O'Leary has it all on one page for you here:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Great starting point.

regards
    Darrell
    ledfut
    ledfut

Post by ledfut Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:50 pm

The attestation papers indicate that your great grandfather enlisted with No 1 N.S. Forestry Company, but it is very possible that he may have transferred to another unit once overseas. Your great grandfather's service file (from Library and Archives Canada) will have all of the information you are looking for.

Darrell has provided an EXCELLENT link to get you started.

Personally, I prefer to hire a private researcher in Ottawa to research the service files for me, rather than going directly through LAC. If I remember correctly, the guy I use charges about $20 per file, and he usually gets the files to me in about a month's time. WAY faster than going directly through LAC. If you provide hime with the full name and service number, he will have no trouble pulling the file.

PM me, or email me at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and I can get you his contact information. I highly recommend him!

Craig

jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:28 pm

I order many files directly from the LAC. If you use the online order function, you get them in about 30 days. All you pay is photocopy and shipping charges. Once you learn to navigate the site it's easy to do and only takes a couple of minutes to complete.
    If anyone wants to pay me to do the research I would be more than happy to. I do them quite a bit for peoples families.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:12 pm