Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+4
sarge5020
Infanteer
edstorey
airborne666
8 posters

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display

airborne666
    airborne666

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Empty R22e regiment master corporal united nations display

Post by airborne666 Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:47 pm

un tank This is my new project ... sorry for the pictures :(

This is a United Nations r22er master corporal  Croatia/Bosnia display !

I will search for a left brassard with the canada flag .. And I buy 1 field dressing for the web 82

Last edited by airborne666 on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    edstorey
    edstorey

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Empty UNPROFOR Kit

Post by edstorey Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:02 pm

This is the kit you want for UNPROFOR.   I was there for a year and don't recall many people wearing the full 1982 Pattern Web, mostly body armour with mags in the pockets and a Shell Dressing and bayonet hooked to the vest.

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  C252-28SgtStoreywithM6082mmRecoille
    edstorey
    edstorey

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Empty UN PASGT

Post by edstorey Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:06 pm

You also need a UN blue PASGT, this is mine from 20 years ago.

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  PASGTCanadianUN-1
    edstorey
    edstorey

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Empty UNPROFOR Images

Post by edstorey Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:14 pm

Here are a few more 'tourist' snaps from The Former Yugoslavia.

This T54 was a common place to stop and take photographs while in UN Sector West.

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  S158-17

This was taken at the Nepalese camp in UN Sector West, we had conveniently stopped for lunch, it was currie...

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  S158-14

This was taken at the HQ in UN Sector East.

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  S158-6
    edstorey
    edstorey

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Empty PASGT in Use

Post by edstorey Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:20 pm

This image is of me with a Croatian State Police Officer during a visit to the confrontation line just east of Zagreb.

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  C261-33SgtStoreywithCroatPoliceman
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Empty Re: R22e regiment master corporal united nations display

Post by Infanteer Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:56 pm

edstorey wrote:You also need a UN blue PASGT, this is mine from 20 years ago.
    Depends on the tour... in 1992/93 we still wore blue painted M1 helmets.
    airborne666
    airborne666

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Empty Re: R22e regiment master corporal united nations display

Post by airborne666 Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:37 am

Yess but its very difficult to find the body armor and the helmet ...... I have a canadian use PASGT but the helmet is repainted in green !
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Empty U.N. Service in the 1990's

Post by sarge5020 Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:48 am

Midway through my tour in Bosnia in 1994-95, we were issued the tacvest and got rid of the webbing.  Here is the uniform from my collection and a photo of me wearing the same stuff.  
    R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Un_com10
    R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Me_in_11

Cheers,
    John
    www.essex-armoured-soldiers-museum.ca
    southsaskscotty
    southsaskscotty

Post by southsaskscotty Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:52 pm

edstorey wrote:This is the kit you want for UNPROFOR.   I was there for a year and don't recall many people wearing the full 1982 Pattern Web, mostly body armour with mags in the pockets and a Shell Dressing and bayonet hooked to the vest.]
    Ed, I have a display c.UNPROFOR 3RCR Roto 0 - do you have a photo depicting the correct shell dressing? I would like to add it but want it to be correct. Also, where/how was the C7 bayonet clipped to the frag vest.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
    Scott
    southsaskscotty
    southsaskscotty

Post by southsaskscotty Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:57 pm

sarge5020 wrote:Midway through my tour in Bosnia in 1994-95, we were issued the tacvest and got rid of the webbing.  Here is the uniform from my collection and a photo of me wearing the same stuff.ca
    John, just to confirm for a civvy who wasn't there - the tac vest was worn over the frag vest? I would like to add to my UN display with a c.1998 Bosnia set up that would be pretty similar to yours (which is great!)

Thanks!!
    Scott
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:46 pm

I've been trying to get a good Peacekeeping grouping to add to my displays,but unsure where to go to get authentic gear. Seems like there are fakes popping up with this service era as well now...
    :(
    Thanks for the service John!
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:55 pm

southsaskscotty wrote:.  Also, where/how was the C7 bayonet clipped to the frag vest.
    When I was in Croatia (1992/93) with the infantry (3PPCLI) we didn't carry our bayonets on our vests. They stayed on the webbing. So it would seem different units had different policies. The field dressings were attached with gun tape to the elastic at the shoulder on the body armor and/or to the elastic on the side. Personally I had two dressings, one in each location. (Sorry for the crappy quality of the last two photos as I don't have a functional scanner and tried taking a photo of a photo and it didn't work out too good)
    R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Sale_i22

This is me in the back of an M113 A1. Note at this point the C9 has an Elcan optical sight but the C7 doesn't.

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  00910
    R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  01010
    airborne666
    airborne666

Post by airborne666 Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:34 am

Like this ?

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Legare10

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Tumblr10
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Scott, yes, we wore the tacvest over the body armour because if it weas the other way around, you wouldn't be able top get at anything in the tacvest.  We found that clipping the shoulder pads of the body armour over the tacvest (see the photos) stopped things from sliding around.
    We carries the bayonet in the carrier on the tacvest located to the left (as you wear it) of the rank badge.
    For the helmtes, we wore U.S. Kelavar helmets with U.N. blue helmet covers on them.

Cheers,
    John
    edstorey
    edstorey

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Empty PASGT Helmets in The Former Yugosalvia

Post by edstorey Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:53 pm

I first saw the UN blue covers for the PASGT during a visit to BiH Command HQ in Sarajevo in Feb 1994. I heard latter that these covers were introduced as painting the PASGTs UN blue apparently had an adverse effect on the lamination of the helmet's Kevlar layers.

The PASGTs that Canada was using were certainly of US manufacture, I am not sure who produced the UN blue covers and I would have to go and dig my example out to check the manufacture stamp.
    southsaskscotty
    southsaskscotty

Post by southsaskscotty Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:10 am

sarge5020 wrote:Scott, yes, we wore the tacvest over the body armour because if it weas the other way around, you wouldn't be able top get at anything in the tacvest.
    Hahaha.....my question phrasing sounds pretty foolish now. I had actually meant to confirm that the frag vest was worn in addition to the tac vest. Thank you for your confirmation.

Also, thank you for your service - and to others who have also posted in this thread. The 90's were my formative years and I had an unle that did 2 tours first Croatia then Bosnia. I have a profound respect for those who served there and to the plight of some who can never leave.

There will be a History Channel special airing the evening of November 10 entitled Sector Sarajevo - it is my understanding that it will be very candid and revealing (Gen. Mackenzie and other Op Harmony members have been interviewed). If you want to mark the calendar or set the TiVo.

-Scott
    southsaskscotty
    southsaskscotty

Post by southsaskscotty Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:14 am

Infanteer wrote:
    R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Sale_i22

Thanks for this!  They really have not changed much from the WWII ones I have in my collection.  I will be on the look out for a couple to kit out my display.

Cheers!
    Scott
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:51 pm

You know something guys... You are all driving me nuts with this. You are going to force me to get off my butt, dig through many many many rubbermaid tubs at home, plus my dads place, to see what all I am still missing to do up a display like this.

I know where my tacvest and armour is, and I think my beret and helmet are in a box at my sisters place, but as for the balance.... not a clue.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:54 pm

southsaskscotty wrote:
     I will be on the look out for a couple to kit out my display.
    I have some I can part with...
    Ian B
    Ian B

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Empty Shell Dressings

Post by Ian B Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Good day gents,

I also have a few dressings kicking about, if anyone needs them.  Doesn't show well in the photo, but the dressing covers are dated in the lower right corner.... so-o-o...if you want to be authentically correct, the date on your dressing should be on or before the time frame of your display. Mine cover from 1973 to 1990(ish).  I know...picking fly-s**t out of pepper again.  But I can't help it, just an old RCR, "Never Pass A Fault"
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:58 pm

I should go through all the medical stuff I have and check the dates out. I have quite a few items from the medical station in our lines. They tossed out the entire station. Seemed like such a waste, I just had to 'rescue' some of it.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    sarge5020
    sarge5020

Post by sarge5020 Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:24 am

Scott, thanks so much for the information on the up-coming History Channel documentaries. I’ve been trying to find a documentary that my wife and I watched a few years ago about Canada’s contribution to the U.N. mission in the Balkans. It was very candid and an eye opener for my wife as she never really knew the conditions in which we served. I can’t remember the name of the documentary or even which channel it was on but I have spent many nights scouring the internet trying to find a lead on it. I hope Sector Sarajevo does a good job of telling the story very candidly as I doubt that most people realize the true conditions under which we served.

Cheers,
    John
    www.essex-armoured-soldiers-museum.ca
    southsaskscotty
    southsaskscotty

Post by southsaskscotty Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:40 am

southsaskscotty wrote:

There will be a History Channel special airing the evening of November 10 entitled Sector Sarajevo - it is my understanding that it will be very candid and revealing (Gen. Mackenzie and other Op Harmony members have been interviewed).  If you want to mark the calendar or set the TiVo.

-Scott
    The teasers on the History Channel look pretty good for this doc - airing Nov 10.
    airborne666
    airborne666

Post by airborne666 Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:44 pm

After modifications :) Better now ???? un tank 

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Dscn8718

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Dscn8716

R22e regiment master corporal united nations display  Dscn8717
    airborne666
    airborne666

Post by airborne666 Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:18 pm

nobody ?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:51 am