Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Post war QOR lanyard

Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post war QOR lanyard Empty Post war QOR lanyard

Post by Infanteer Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:30 pm

Picked up this 1950's service dress tunic with the insignia and lanyard as seen. There was a large grouping all to the same soldier so I'm certain that it has not been made up. Question is why there is a black lanyard and is this correct? I ask because the references that I've found state that the color of the lanyard for the QOR is red (scarlet). I did however find an anecdotal reference to the lanyard color changing to black after a number of QOR members were murdered by the SS shortly after D Day. Anyone have any input to share?

BTW, it is missing the belt so if someone has a spare please let me know.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    lorne19
    lorne19

Post war QOR lanyard Empty Re: Post war QOR lanyard

Post by lorne19 Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:26 am

Nice score! I'd love to see some of the items to left and right, looks like so interesting pieces.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:19 am

Hi Steve, Black lanyards for the QOR were approved in 1949. Documentation indicates the QOR wore a black cord prior to the FWW and switched to the red cord immediately after that war. In the post SWW era they applied for authority to wear the black cord again. It was explained that the regiment wished to revert to the traditional black rifles cord. An officers and other ranks quality was approved, with the officers being a double cord and the other ranks a single. Not sure of the history after the mid 1950's.
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:00 pm

Thanks Bill. It really can be difficult to search for information about these small details because it seems that the post war period is neglected for many units. Also, it goes to show how changes to the uniform and insignia are often accounted for by myths and legends within the various units. I've heard quite a few over the years and the vast majority of the time they turn out to be false but they do add some flavor and interest.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:03 pm

Hi Steve, Part of the problem regarding research is the vacuum in the reference material. The records were not available. It is starting to come out of archives, and the "story" will have more substance once they are researched and analyzed.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:00 pm