Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

5 posters

Pips

Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Pips Empty Pips

Post by Cameraguy Thu May 08, 2014 7:24 pm

Does anyone have a good pic of a Highland Regiments (preferably NNSH) Battledress Lt's shoulder pips? If you have a tough time posting pics here,please send the pics to alcammy@hotmail.com
    Thanks!
    Bill
    Bill

Pips Empty Re: Pips

Post by Bill Fri May 09, 2014 5:31 am

Hi Al, The rank stars on battle dress are the standard infantry pattern. A few had backing in regimental tartan, (the epualet or shoulder board) but my understanding is that is for service dress.
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Fri May 09, 2014 9:54 am

Thank Bill!
    servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Post by servicepub Fri May 09, 2014 5:47 pm

Bill wrote:Hi Al, The rank stars on battle dress are the standard infantry pattern. A few had backing in regimental tartan, (the epualet or shoulder board) but my understanding is that is for service dress.

This is a new one to me. I have never heard of a tartan backing to rank 'pips' on Service Dress (or any other order of dress). Do you have any references for this Bill?
    As to the cloth pips worn on battledress, Infantry scarlet was the only option for infantry other than Guards who wore brass stars. Even Rifle regiments, who wore black 'pips' wore these on a scarlet background.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Fri May 09, 2014 5:54 pm

As soon as I posted this I knew it was going to be confusing. The epaulet or shoulder strap is made of the regimental tartan, not the coloured edging on the actual rank stars. Should have clarified, the rank stars are infantry scarlet edged.
    servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Post by servicepub Fri May 09, 2014 5:57 pm

Bill wrote:As soon as I posted this I knew it was going to be confusing. The epaulet or shoulder strap is made of the regimental tartan, not the coloured edging on the actual rank stars. Should have clarified, the rank stars are infantry scarlet edged.

LOL. Still confused though. Never seen that.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Sat May 10, 2014 10:48 am

Here is a link to a post on the B&CMBF that shows the tartan shoulder boards. The example is from my collection, for a Capt from the Lorne Scots. (Posting images to this Forum is unneccisarily difficult, so I cross posted.) http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=262035#post262035
    servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Post by servicepub Sat May 10, 2014 12:18 pm

New to me. Thanks for posting. Do you know if these are SWW or were they worn on the Bush jacket?
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Sat May 10, 2014 2:25 pm

The Lorne's were late wartime, the BW ones that I saw were in the late 60's.
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Sat May 10, 2014 8:16 pm

You have to be a member over there to see your pic. While posting pics here is not that user friendly, there are very detailed picture posting tutorials that both Cliff and Dale have done that take you through it step by step. It really is not the difficult once you follow the tutorial.

Bill

Post by Bill Sun May 11, 2014 5:08 am

Hi Jeff, I know how to post pics here. Just don't like the complicated process. It takes less time to register as a member on the B&CMBF than it does to post a pic here.
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Sun May 11, 2014 7:05 am

Well said Bill, I have to agree with you. It is very unfortunate. I really like this site, it has a lot of potential and I have a lot I would like to add to site.
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Sun May 11, 2014 7:52 am

Well guys, we are stuck with this forum software until the contract expires. We don't like it either but it is not that difficult and is only a few more mouse clicks and seconds longer than other forums....which I post to as well. You are welcome to use photo hosting as well if you find that easier.

Pips Lorne_10

Bill

Post by Bill Sun May 11, 2014 7:55 am

Hi Jeff, It is the photo hosting in particular that annoys me. I will post images as needed, just grumpy yesterday. (And maybe today...)
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Sun May 11, 2014 8:06 am

Bill wrote:Hi Jeff, It is the photo hosting in particular that annoys me. I will post images as needed, just grumpy yesterday. (And maybe today...)

Hey Bill, No problem I was yesterday too. I understand the frustration, we deal with it many times over with all the members as well as posting photos ourselves. I just want this forum to be the best it can be for our members, thats all.

Hope you don't mind I stole your pic!
    And not always is a picture necessary, but in this case we have an experienced collector, researcher and author who has never seen these boards, so you can guarantee most member haven't(including me, thats why I went looking for it) A pic is a great learning tool for everyone here.

48th, if you need help posting pics, feel free to ask for some help. The irony in this, is the OP, had probably the worst time posting pics and he has got it figured out now. lol It took 9 mouse clicks and about 30 seconds to post the pic above from start to finish.

Happy Collecting Guys!

jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Sun May 11, 2014 8:09 am

Pips Scan0010

Pips Scan0011

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:27 am