Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

My wife's early B-day present to me.

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

My wife's early B-day present to me.  Empty My wife's early B-day present to me.

Post by pylon1357 Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:52 am

My wife has always regretted not being able to purchase any medals for me, as she knows nothing about them. I have told her many times, that I understand, and I am glad she doesn't just go out and buy some willy-nilly for me. I would end up with a bunch of over-priced junk (no offence to her at all)

Well this year, has been rather tough on my collection. Moving took up a lot of time, energy and expense.  Her damned horses are still a drain, however not as bad as before. (Our move was prompted because of the danged horses) She has heard me openly complain more than a few times about having to pass on something I would have liked to have had.

Any way, as usual, I am off on a tangent, but you are all used to my half baked posts by now.

Unbeknownst to me,
    My lovely wife, was snooping through my laptop last week, and came across an open browser window to a dealer site shopping cart. I use the shopping cart when I see a medal I am interested in. Well there were 4 single BWMs in the cart. She contacted the dealer and purchased all 4. She didn't tell me she did this.

When I returned to the site to do a little more digging (basic research) before making up my mind, I was pretty shocked to see all 4 were marked as sold, and no longer in my cart. I thought to myself, WTF?? Is my luck ever crappy. But, I figured, No problem really as I can always find other examples of these, besides, I am taking a run at some paperwork in support of a WWI pair I have. Now that the 4 single BWMs are off the table, I can use that cash to further ensure a successful  run at the paperwork.

Well I went to the Post Office this morning to collect the mail (we don't have door to door postal service). I picked up the mail, and as usual, I sorted through it in the postal outlet. I noticed a delivery slip for a package, so naturally, I picked it up. I checked the package addressed to me from a dealer I use quite often. I thought to myself, huh? wonder what is in here, I don't recall ordering anything recently.

On my way home from the post office this morning, I called my wife to chat with her, she is visiting her father in Halifax. While we chatted about her drive to Halifax, my overnight shift, the well being of the horses and the usual things, I mentioned I must be losing my mind because a package arrived for me, and I don't remember ordering anything.  She paused for a second or two and did her usual little 'ummm' comment, reply, whatever you want to call it. She starts with this pause and noise when she has something to tell me, but is not certain she should. She asked me if I opened it yet and my reply was no, not yet, I cannot figure out what the hell I ordered. She told me to open it now while she was on the phone.  

Long story short ( yeah right, like this short) I opened the package and inside were the 4 single BWMs I had in my cart. I was a little confused as I knew damned well I didn't order them. This is when she told me Happy Birthday, and explained what she had done.

I was not sure if I should have been happy, or angry that she was into my laptop. I chose the smart option for a change and thanked her very much. She apologized for snooping through my laptop, explaining that she had seen me looking at the medals earlier, and she knew I was concerned about other things and would likely pass on them. She wanted to get me something I would truly appreciate, and boy did she.

Now if you are still reading this, I present to you all, the 4 single BWMs she got for me. Nothing super special, other than they are single full entitlements.

William Carlton, 92nd Canadian Infantry Battalion

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Walter Cornell 37th Canadian Infantry Battalion

Dryer Alberta Regiment. Interesting this fellow was born in Weston-Super-Mare England, immigrated to Canada in 1913, drafted 1918, died of Pneumonia at #12 Canadian General Hospital Bramshott after serving only 5 months in C.E.F. He is buried in Weston-Super-Mare Cemetery.

William Tickle 188th Infantry Battalion

As time permits me, I will doing my research and write ups then adding these fellows to the WWI section. As 3 of the 4 are within the block of Service records currently being digitized by the LAC, I will have to wait until such time as they upload these soldiers service records.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    lorne19
    lorne19

My wife's early B-day present to me.  Empty Re: My wife's early B-day present to me.

Post by lorne19 Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:53 pm

Your a lucky man Cliff.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

My wife's early B-day present to me.  Empty Re: My wife's early B-day present to me.

Post by pylon1357 Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:58 am

Lucky is an understatement, My wife is a one of a kind woman. She puts up with me and all my goofy quirks and still does things like this for me from time to time.

I just hope she is as understanding if I am fortunate enough to secure the latest thing I am after.  2 thumbs up 

jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:33 am

"I chose the smart option for a change and thanked her very much"

Cliff, I've known you for a number of years now and this made me laugh......so true!! LOL

You've got a great wife there that would do something like this for you, Congrats on the newest addtions.

AND

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Buddy!! piper  kilt 

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:12 am

jholl72 wrote: "I chose the smart option for a change and thanked her very much"

Cliff, I've known you for a number of years now and this made me laugh......so true!! LOL

You've got a great wife there that would do something like this for you, Congrats on the newest addtions.

AND

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Buddy!! piper  kilt 

Thanks Jeff, I still have a week of being 48. I don't get officially old until July 30th. LOL.

Canadian Corporal
    Canadian Corporal

Post by Canadian Corporal Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:07 am

I guess a belated Happy Birthday is in order then Cliff. Welcome to being old! ( You said it in your previous post )
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:42 pm

Canadian Corporal wrote:I guess a belated Happy Birthday is in order then Cliff. Welcome to being old! ( You said it in your previous post )

actually John you were bang on. my birthday was on the 30th which of the date you posted this.

many thanks for the birthday wish.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm