Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+6
Jonhno
qsamike
Cameraguy
barriefield-brian
muskey124
pylon1357
10 posters

eBay import duties at source??

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

eBay import duties at source?? Empty eBay import duties at source??

Post by pylon1357 Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:36 am

A question for the other members regarding this new trend.

I have to say once again I am confused. I was sent an invoice from a US seller for a WWI pair of medals to a Canadian, I am being asked for duty and import fees that amount to about 27.00 USD for a 100.00 pair. WTF? I have never paid this at source, always at the post office. Lately I have not paid any as I have the package Identified as Canadian Medals returning to Canada. Even when I get charged, I have been arguing it and have had the money paid returned to me. NOW with this Global Shipping Bull Crap, I do not appear to have any recourse in applying to get my refund. I was always under the impression that Import Duties are the responsibility of the BPSA and not some cheezedick shipping program.

Has anyone got any idea on this one? I have read, re-read and re-re-read the damned policies and cannot make heads or tails out of this highway robbery.

I have contacted the seller and am waiting for a reply. If they won't play ball, I will take the negative hit and pull out of the deal based solely on the principal of the whole thing. I have asked the seller to cancel the Global Shipping bullshit and send it to me through normal post. This 100.00 pair will end up costing me about 170.00 CDN when shipping, duties and exchange are all considered.

Last time I am going to deal with a US seller. This is just getting too ridiculous. Comments on this guys are really needed. Even if it si o tell to suck it up and quit whining.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    muskey124
    muskey124

eBay import duties at source?? Empty Re: eBay import duties at source??

Post by muskey124 Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:26 am

I agree with you 100% I wouldn't pay it either. I am finding that all these new policies and changes with ebay and that global shipping company is getting out of hand.  in fact I am starting to away from dealing with ebay and going to other sites to buy my stuff.

Len
    barriefield-brian
    barriefield-brian

Post by barriefield-brian Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:17 am

Just bought an uncommon size pool balls, there was a set on e-bay but they had that global shipping crap so I just got a set from the U.K. Not all sellers are using this but you have to watch the shipping costs. I think this is going to cost a lot of sales. Cheers Brian
    Cameraguy
    Cameraguy

Post by Cameraguy Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:14 am

I got hit with about the same cost for a few cans of spray paint!!! Unfortunately,I used the paint before I received/knew about the bill.
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:00 pm

The global shipping and tax system is for use in the US / International only and they are forcing the US dealers to use it.......

I got an items from a US dealer the goods themselves cost $8.00 US and the shipping and handleing and duty totaled $62.00 or that is what he tried to charge me and I just refused to pay......

Mike
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:20 am

Hey Chris

Cant say I am a fan of this new shipping method either, I have been hit with import from other carriers like FEd ex - ups etc, but seems someone wants their cut of that action now, I have read elsewhere its a central (maybe more than one hub) location run by pitney bows

just another experience I had, I brought something from the US sent 1st class priority, the seller said there was no tracking and the post office even told him that, I asked him to email me the receipt and I showed him where the tracking no. was, some countries are exempt from tracking though I would think

but yeah tbh its just another pain,

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:37 am

What recourse do we have against what amount to illegal charges? I see no where to get reimbursed for this import duty that should not be charged.

Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:57 am

This issue has been discussed previously. It is getting worse. Unfortunately these charges are not illegal. They are the new business model for ebay. Ebay provides the Global Shipping service, and the vendor simply drops or sends the lot to the shipping centre and ebay looks after the rest, making sure they get their slice of the cake. My understanding is that Ebay forwards the customs duties to the Canadian govt, so you aren't going to get much help at our end.
    The best way to combat this is to contact the vendor and indicate you were interested in the lot IF they will avoid using the Global Shipping.
    On the other hand, I have decided that I will not bid on most lots of material from vendors that use the GS system. (Of interest, one of the biggest dealers of Canadian material in the States, Chris Brooker, does not use the GS system.)
    lorne19
    lorne19

Post by lorne19 Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:37 am

This is why I do not buy from U.S sellers any more. Not only are the shipping/import charges getting crazy but having to wait 2-4 weeks for a simply item to arrive when it can come from Europe or Asis in a week is ridiculous.

Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:19 am

I did wonder about the Gov getting some of the money, that probably ties up any hope of sorting it out that way, can only hope this does not become the norm and the "1st class priority" service with USPS does not disappear , saying this, is the writing on the cards already?
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:22 am

I to have seen this new customs fees added directly at time of payment and like the rest of you I don't understand it. First, why would sellers do this? What advantage is there to them? I would think it is added work? Or are they getting some kind of kick back/fee for doing it?  I have been lucky and as of yet not bought anything from a US seller that is using it. I would do my best not to buy anything in the future from sellers who use this unless it is some thing on my short list of collectables that I REALLY need. 
      I fear this new system is a sign of what is to come in the future. Governments seem hell bent on collecting every cent they can from us whether we buy it in this country or another. 

In closing, defiantly another hit for EPay. I sure don't buy as many things of there as I used to in the past.
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:27 pm

Guys,

The third party, Pitney Bowwes, and Ebay are most likely taking a percentage of the duty charged because they are acting as agents for the government. Ebay is marketing the service to sellers as way they can make the buyer's experience easier. In my opinion, the only way to stop it is to email the seller and let them know you would have been a buyer but the GPS service has made you a non-bidder. Only money will talk here ... if sellers are loosing money they may avoid the service ...

Here is my experience with GPS

ypres wrote:Last month I purchased a WWI gas mask through a well known online auction site. The mask was a British mask but was issued to a US dough boy and was located in the US. It was pricey, but I wanted the piece, so I bid and paid the GPS duty and fees. The situation became a problem after the seller sent the mask to the third party for processing. This outfit cancelled the sale and sent me a robo mail letting me know I would receive a refund in 24 hours! After I still hadn't received my refund in the time promised, I sent 3 or 4 emails that went unanswered. It took over a week to get my money back and only after I complained to the money transfer wing of the auction company, who eventually sent me the refund ..... I have been in touch with the seller and she has not had the mask returned to her. I ended up finding out that the third party cancelled the sale because the mask may have been exposed to chemicals during the war and it was declared "Hazardous Waste" . Since then, the seller told me she was paid the amount I had bid on the mask. It appears that the mask was then destroyed due to safety concerns ..... At this point, I'm not sure I would bid on any WWI item located in the US. Using the third parties logic, a pair of pants, tunic, hat, or even a badge could have been exposed to gas in 1917 so these could also be classified as hazardous waste as well !! Another thing I forgot to mention, the mask had a record of use tag attached. It had never been used in a drill let alone had it been exposed to gas .....

Ypres
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:21 pm

Guys,

Check out this page .... I forgot ... as an EBay bidder, I am also an EBay member. We can also post directly on their site. It may be worth the effort.

Ypres
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:10 am

I have read with great interest, all the replies, and have to say this has got to stop. As noted, the sellers are losing out, we are paying more, or passing things by as well.

Bill, I my comment about the fees being illegal were based on my misunderstanding the way it worked. I didn't realize that the shipping company pays the fees to the CBSA. If this is fact the case, then there should be some recourse for getting a refund of those charges.

In the situation that prompted this topic, I have contacted the seller and explained to him why I was canceling the deal. I told him that I was willing to take a non-paying bidder or whatever he felt he needed to do. At that point, he replied, and we are doing the deal outside eBay. So I will get my items for the original $100.00 USD plus $3.00 USD shipping. I cannot complain about that at all.

It seems he was unaware that these charges were being laid against me. He reacted pretty strongly when I told him I would be on the hook for about $155.00 USD and he would only see his percentage of the original $100.00. I gather from our conversation, hat he may no longer use this GSP.

Ypres, I will take a look at that link you provided. In my opinion, we all have to ban together to make anything happen.

Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:17 am

Thanks for that link ypres. Maybe ebay will listen to the customer... but I am not holding my breath.
    Cliff, you may be able to make a case with customs, but that is again a time consuming process, and time has to have a value too. On a similar thread someone had recovered their customs duties, but it was not a sure thing and it involved a degree of effort.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:54 am

Ypres, again thank you for the link. Posted my thoughts on the whole GSP thing. I have to say, I do expect my post to be either removed or edited. Maybe even a suspension from eBay. LMAO.

I am pissed at the prospect of having this door slammed in my face. I cannot count the number of times I have bought great items at a cheap price from US sellers. Often, I am the sole bidder and get the item at the opening bid. I have in the past scored at least 4 WWI pairs for under $25.00 each US. and a Trio in the spring for $18.00 USD.

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:56 am

Bill wrote:Thanks for that link ypres. Maybe ebay will listen to the customer... but I am not holding my breath.
    Cliff, you may be able to make a case with customs, but that is again a time consuming process, and time has to have a value too. On a similar thread someone had recovered their customs duties, but it was not a sure thing and it involved a degree of effort.

As I said Bill, I defaulted on the action and did the deal with the fellow outside eBay. As for eBay listening??? yeah right. They will listen, just like the Ontario Liberal Government listens. eBay import duties at source?? 1739809586

ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:15 pm

Guys,

Found an item I wanted to buy on Ebay the other day. It was in the States and had the dreaded GSP listed in International Shipping. I emailed the seller told him what I was willing to pay for the item, and told him I would not be able to do so because of the GSP. I provided the EBay link listed in the previous posts for him to read since I wanted him to see the issues with the GSP for himself.

To the sellers credit he removed the GSP from the listing and I won the auction today.

Ypres
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:18 pm

I am glad you approached the seller regarding g this issue. I think most US sellers have no idea the cost involved to a Canadian buyer.
    Just another way for EBay to cost us more and reason for us not to use EBay

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:54 am