Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

2 Rcaf caps (named)

BeauHarper
    BeauHarper

2 Rcaf caps (named) Empty 2 Rcaf caps (named)

Post by BeauHarper Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:33 pm

I have two Rcaf caps I picked up last night for a great deal. Both Named to John F. Bauckham. The peaked cap appears to be marked "Dr. John F. Bauckham" and he has written in himself in bold letters "S/L J.F. BAUCKHAM". On the wedge style cap it is also stamped Dr. John F. Bauckham and appears he has written in J. Bauckham. Now for the big questions... The wedge style hat appears to be ww2 and the peaked cap seems to be post war, most likely dating to the Korean war era. I say this due to the crown (wedge being kings crown and peaked being queens). What are your thoughts on that? Also any info on the guy would be appreciated. Also wanted to mention both caps have the same company's tag inside (see photos). Is it possible the peaked cap is ww2 then later on the band was changed to the queens crown? If this is the case would it make the cap more valuable?
    thanks,
    Beau

2 Rcaf caps (named) Cap_110 2 Rcaf caps (named) Cap_1210 2 Rcaf caps (named) Cap_1310 2 Rcaf caps (named) Cap1410

Peaked cap

2 Rcaf caps (named) Photo_14 2 Rcaf caps (named) Photo_15 2 Rcaf caps (named) Photo_16 2 Rcaf caps (named) Photo_17
    Bill
    Bill

2 Rcaf caps (named) Empty Re: 2 Rcaf caps (named)

Post by Bill Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:22 pm

Hello Beau, A note about crowns. The accession of Queen Elizabeth to the throne in 1953 did not immediately result in the changing of the crown. Depending on the service or regiment it took years before all the crowns were changed. It is quite possible the officer who owned your caps had the kc wedge cap even though it was into the queen's crown era.
    Officers also purchased their own uniforms, as can be seen by the private tailor's label in the head dress.
    BeauHarper
    BeauHarper

Post by BeauHarper Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:32 pm

oh ok that's interesting! At this time I believe there were a lot of veterans still in service as well so the wedge could be an older cap from him... Really debating weather I should sell the caps or not, they are in really nice condition but would really like to save up for a nice ww2 cap and get out of the post ww2 stuff... Anyone want to make an offer feel free.
    Thanks Bill for the response,

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am