Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

Comparison of WWI and WWII Canadian waterbottles...

Wgrenadier
    Wgrenadier

Comparison of WWI and WWII Canadian waterbottles... Empty Comparison of WWI and WWII Canadian waterbottles...

Post by Wgrenadier Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:05 pm

Hey guys,

I thought I'd take a few side-by-side shots of Canadian-made Mk VI and Mk VII Waterbottles.

This first photo shows a 1941 dated Mk VII bottle (Left) and a Mk VI bottle (right). As you can see, the Mk VI has a flatter economy tin-can top. both bottles have think khaki felt covers, though the Mk VI is a browner shade and the Mk VII is closer to gray (this does not show up well in this photo, due to lighting).

Comparison of WWI and WWII Canadian waterbottles... Fig_110

This photo shows the a close-up of the spouts on each bottle. The Mk VI bottle (top) has a stopped cord that is sewn onto the cover, while the Mk VII bottle's stopper cord (bottom) is attached to a metal staple on the shoulder of the bottle.

Comparison of WWI and WWII Canadian waterbottles... Fig_210

This photo shows the markings on the covers of each bottle. Both covers bear Canadian Broad Arrow acceptance marks that are difficult to read. The Mk VI bottle (top) shows a shield (or possibly a maple leaf) with what appears to be a date (possibly 1918), while the Mk VII bottle (bottom) is stamped "G.S.W. ~ 1941" inside an oval.

Comparison of WWI and WWII Canadian waterbottles... Fig_310

Here is a close-up of the stamp on the Mk VI bottle. If anyone has any thoughts about it, I would be greatly appreciative!

Comparison of WWI and WWII Canadian waterbottles... Fig_410

I thought that the shield or maple leaf shape looked familiar, then it struck me that I have seen a similar shape on Canadian-made enamelware...

Comparison of WWI and WWII Canadian waterbottles... Fig_511Comparison of WWI and WWII Canadian waterbottles... Fig_610

I thought that both bottles were made by General Steel Wares, with the earlier Mk VI bottle being made under their Opal Enamelware line. However, GSW was formed in October 1927 by five companies (McClary Manufacturing Company, London, Ontario; Sheet Metal Products Company of Canada Limited, Toronto; Thomas Davidson Manufacturing Company Limited, Montreal; E. T. Wright Limited, Hamilton, Ontario; and A. Aubry et fils Limitée, Montreal). Perhaps the maple leaf was used by one of these predecessor companies and the markings inside of it stand of that firm, like SMP for Sheet Metal Products.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
    48th
    48th

Comparison of WWI and WWII Canadian waterbottles... Empty Re: Comparison of WWI and WWII Canadian waterbottles...

Post by 48th Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:40 pm

Great write up as always. Amazing information in there. I will have to take a second look at the water bottles in my collection. I have not seen one date stamped on the bottom like your example.

GSW made all kinds of products for the war. I see their name on every thing it seems.
    Wgrenadier
    Wgrenadier

Comparison of WWI and WWII Canadian waterbottles... Empty Re: Comparison of WWI and WWII Canadian waterbottles...

Post by Wgrenadier Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:02 am

Thanks 48th! Most of the GSW examples that have their stamps remaining are dated 1943. As for the Mk VI, I wish that stamp was just a little more legible. It's difficult to say if it's a date or the maker's initials.

The GSW factories must have been humming during the war!
    sjsmith1914
    sjsmith1914

Post by sjsmith1914 Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Very good information, thanks for posting.
    Wgrenadier
    Wgrenadier

Post by Wgrenadier Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:58 pm

Thanks Stephen! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:21 am