Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

I found this medal today, what does it pertain to? Date? Material? Backstory? Worth anything?

b4rc0d3

I found this medal today, what does it pertain to? Date? Material? Backstory? Worth anything? Empty I found this medal today, what does it pertain to? Date? Material? Backstory? Worth anything?

Post by b4rc0d3 Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:21 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Found this medal today, like that, on its own. It's quite shiny, in very good shape, but I know nothing about it.

What branch does it pertain to?

Dated to?

Material it's made from?

Backstory?

Worth anything?

Thanks in advance 303
    37patt
    37patt

I found this medal today, what does it pertain to? Date? Material? Backstory? Worth anything? Empty Re: I found this medal today, what does it pertain to? Date? Material? Backstory? Worth anything?

Post by 37patt Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:18 pm

Queen Elizabeth II issue of the Canadian Forces Decoration (CD).

All members of the Canadian Forces are eligible to be awarded the medal.

No idea when this one would have been made, the first one was presented to HRH The Duke of Edinburgh in August 1954. The first large batch of CD's were struck on 1 April 1955 and would have been issued shortly after.
    This issue of the CD will have the members abbreviated rank, surname and initials engraved on the edge of the medal.

From 1955 to 1993 it was struck from tombac, an alloy of 12% zinc and 88% copper.
    In June 1993 this was changed to gilding metal - 5% zinc and 95% copper.

From 1993 up until 2007 there were a number of other metals used by private manufacturers, all without the permission of DND. Since 2007 the Royal Canadian Mint has resumed striking the medals and again use gilding bronze.

The medal is awarded for 12 years service, with a bar for each additional 10 year period.

My CD is priceless to me. No idea what someone would pay me if I sold it off.
    b4rc0d3

I found this medal today, what does it pertain to? Date? Material? Backstory? Worth anything? Empty Re: I found this medal today, what does it pertain to? Date? Material? Backstory? Worth anything?

Post by b4rc0d3 Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:52 pm

2 thumbs up
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:32 am

It looks like a miniature?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:14 pm