Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

3 posters

RCAF Fake?

CanadianBD

RCAF Fake? Empty RCAF Fake?

Post by CanadianBD Wed May 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Hello everyone i have recently come across this unusual battledress. It has RCAF patches but is not on a typical blue tunic, rather an infantry brown/green. I am not an experienced collector but im hoping someone could confirm for me in saying it is not an original battledress. Or at the very least just not originally patched.

RCAF Fake? S-l1600
    ypres
    ypres

RCAF Fake? Empty Re: RCAF Fake?

Post by ypres Thu May 23, 2019 6:56 pm

Is there a name or number in the jacket or pants?

Ypres
    CanadianBD

Post by CanadianBD Thu May 23, 2019 7:34 pm

From what i can see there are no numbers or names from the jacket. My observations are limited as i only have pictures online. Ive been browsing around and came across this piece, as a new collector i was hoping to learn what i can from anyone about this. I was planning on purchasing this but i am cautious as i do not know anything about this and have my doubts.
    BAP
    BAP

Post by BAP Fri May 24, 2019 3:13 pm

There were a lot of Air Force troops working on the ground with the army directing aircraft. Makes sense they would wear khaki. You'd miss it in black and white WW2 photos. Seems to me that it would some bold faker if it is fake (and I don't think so). You'd think they'd just make another 1 Can Para or something.
    CanadianBD

Post by CanadianBD Fri May 24, 2019 8:41 pm

Oh i would have never thought of that. Thanks for the info
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Sat May 25, 2019 9:06 pm

I found the listing for this on Ebay. I am not saying the piece is not good but a few things have me scratching my head:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/RCAF-WW2-Battledress-w-pants-and-distinguished-flying-cross-bar/202686531904?hash=item2f310f0940:g:5UsAAOSwQjhc5YZ4

1) The pants and the jacket are different sizes  Jacket is 5'9" to 5' 10" …. pants seem a little short 5'3"???? I guess a guy could have a long torso and short legs?? If that was the case I'd expect to see some sort of tailoring ???
    2) The RCAF member who would have worn this would have worn it in ground combat …. looks really, really clean … almost        
       unissued … that white lining in the pants is really clean don't you think??
    3) It has service stripes that were seldom worn by the RCAF
    4) The guy is a DFC winner … not many of those around
    5) If it was a bring home tunic there is no way an RCAF pilot would return to Canada in an army jacket.... It would have been stuffed in the bottom of a kit bag … to me it looks like it has never been folded.
    6) The rank on the shoulders looks a little worn. I guess he could have taken these off another jacket … seems like the Canada titles are new. Why get new Canada's but use old rank?
    7) Look close between the rank stripes … looks like some red thread there. Perhaps its just fluff or maybe its left over from a removed army infantry pip which had red backing?

On their own each one of these is not a real factor … but together they would make me stay away from this  …. especially at that price. Just my personal opinion though.

Good Luck

Ypres

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jul 26, 2024 11:50 pm