Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

2 posters

Canadian Red Ensign Flag

breydel

Canadian Red Ensign Flag Empty Canadian Red Ensign Flag

Post by breydel Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:07 pm

I have posted this item about 3 years ago and since then I have done all I could to find a proper identification of it. Also meaningful, I have never come across an identical one nor a similar one.
    Does anyone have any information or comment about this seemingly one of a kind flag?
    Sorry I insterted the full flag twice... duh

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    red25847

Canadian Red Ensign Flag Empty Re: Canadian Red Ensign Flag

Post by red25847 Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:36 am

Canadian Shield 1873-1892
    This version of the Canadian shield added a new third row of provinical seals, the first being for British Columbia and the second being for Prince Edward Island.

The Confederation of British Columbia initially used the royal crest (a crowned lion standing on a crown) with the motto "splendor sine occasu," sometimes flanked by laurel or oak leaves, and sometimes with the letters "B" and "C."

The Confederation of Prince Edward Island continued to use the design it had used since 1769. It is very similar to the present coat of arms, except that the motto "parva sub ingenti" was an integral part of the design and the chief with lion was missing.

What is unusual is the King's Crown, adopted in 1901, instead of the Queen's Crown used in the 19th century. Perhaps this is a 1901 flag employing the old shield?
    breydel

Post by breydel Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:30 pm

Thank you for throwing some light on this mystery. Your deductions make sense to me and I will certainly add them to the scarce bits of information I picked up over the years. One thing is for sure; I have NEVER come across an identical one. Could this flag then be a one-of-a-kind?
    red25847

Post by red25847 Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:10 pm

I've not seen one exactly like it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:44 am