Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+12
Avro683
Wouter
Battalion Colours
RCN Sailor
Bill
Darrell
pylon1357
qsamike
Michael Reintjes
Infanteer
jholl72
mk1rceme
16 posters

Forum Seems to be Dying Off

Darrell
    Darrell

Forum Seems to be Dying Off - Page 2 Empty Re: Forum Seems to be Dying Off

Post by Darrell Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi Dale

Sure me too. I'd wager a great number of us have other Forums on the side. Nothing to be ashamed about is it? :)

Better Forums than girlfriends as my wife says!! :lol:

Speak of the dvil too as I see Dan is in with us now too. 2 thumbs up

regards
    Darrell
    Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:58 pm

mk1rceme wrote:I am guilty of posting on other forums...just depends what I'm posting about. I have a large US collection and some German stuff as well.

Dale, I'm not speaking of forum members who post on WW I/WW II US or German militaria forums; but forum members who post Canadian material on the CEF Research and the British Badge forums. When I'm looking for information on certain Canadian badges and insignia, I go to the British Badge forum. I wish we could get them to share their knowledge with this forum.

"Honneur et Fidélité"

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:52 pm

There was some interest from some members of those forums, but at the time(and still) there wasn't a very efficient way of posting badges and similar items here. The way they have it set up on the BBF is great but I just didn't have the time to set up a separate forum to list them all. And since I don't really collect badges, it was a lost cause for me...I wouldn't know how to start. I didn't want to just copy their format either. I offered to let someone set up the badge forum but no one took it on.

Bill

Post by Bill Sun May 01, 2011 6:06 am

Interesting comments about posting to Forums. I am not sure why Canadian material should be posted to just one site. Each of the sites, whether it is the CEFSG, the British and Commonwealth Military Badge Forum, or the Canadian Soldier Forum had different focus or theme. The CEFSG is strictly the Canadian Expeditionary Force, but all aspects of it, from genealogy to insignia, to weapons and historical research on the battles and engagements. (Though it seems to be settling in more on the genealogy side of late.) The B&CMBF has extensive expertise on badges, and many of the collectors / experts have knowledge of specific areas such as provost, guards regiments, or special forces,etc. That expertise spans most of the nations of the Commonwealth over many time periods. With Canada's close connections to Great Britain during the major wars of the last century, it makes sense to connect with collectors from the all over the world. In addition, many Canadian insignia were made in the UK, and can be explained by research of makers overseas. In the same respect, the British Medal Forum has expertise that is phenomenal. There are many Canadian collectors there, and that is the place I visit to find out about medal research. Here, this Forum is a variety of collecting interests from equipment to uniforms, to medals and research, specifically focused on Canada. There have been some great threads on areas not discussed on the other Fora. In my thinking the diversity is a strength not a weakness.
    Many comments have been made about the fact that the "same faces" are here as on many of the other sites. That begs the question of how deep the pool is, and whether one wants to wade in it. My concern is the number of members on Fora that seldom or never post. The B&CMBF has approximately 3,400 members, and less than half have ever posted. I am not sure of the stats here, but I would think the percentages are similar. Encouraging members to post would generate more discussion. (And that has an impact on search engine results. The more threads, the more hits...)
    Just a note on the badge question. The image posting on this Forum is un-necessarily complicated and awkward. Even after months I still find it clunky. And I don't like having to put myimages on a third party host that I did not pick and have no control over.
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Sun May 01, 2011 8:32 am

In regards to the photo hosting, we all agree it is the most difficult one to use. But this is the one that comes with the forum software that we are using. We have no control over that, unfortunately.
    You can, however, use any photo hosting site that you wish and post the pictures here. I use [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] it is easy to use and allows you to upload mulitple images at once. I once used it to post over 100 images at the same time.

As for posting on other forums, I do it also as do many others on this forum. I post where I think I can get the expertise that I might need or where the items might be of more interest. I try to post the relevant items here as well, but at times I have not, mostly as a function of time. Posting the same things on several forums takes time and sometimes I don't have it and then forget to come back and post it. I will be more diligent in the future.
    Having said that, why don't we all go in to our collections and post something this week that we may not have posted here and post it up. We will get some more information on the forum and hopefully give people more of a chance to interact here.
    I will also send out an email to the 0 post members and encourage them to post. In the end, this forum is what we the members make it. 2 thumbs up

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sun May 01, 2011 9:06 am

I post like I shoot... all over the bloody place. I have no posted many of my newer collection additions anywhere YET. Sooner or later I will get around to it. :lol:

I finally acquired (although a single) a brass shoulder title to the Lake Superior Regiment for my collection. I do hope to add another but honestly this was the first one I have ever seem on the market.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Sun May 01, 2011 11:05 am

Battalion Colours wrote:
    mk1rceme wrote:I am guilty of posting on other forums...just depends what I'm posting about. I have a large US collection and some German stuff as well.

Dale, I'm not speaking of forum members who post on WW I/WW II US or German militaria forums; but forum members who post Canadian material on the CEF Research and the British Badge forums. When I'm looking for information on certain Canadian badges and insignia, I go to the British Badge forum. I wish we could get them to share their knowledge with this forum.
    Adam, can you be more specific? I think probably alot of us fall into that category in some way or another. If there are specific members or knowledgable people you would like to see here, we can contact them and see if they might participate more here or perhaps there is a reason they don't participate here that we can address. You can PM me if you wish.

jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Sun May 01, 2011 11:17 am

To Bills point, I just checked our numbers and almost exactly 50% of our members have never posted, same as the forum Bill mentioned.
    As I said earlier, I think the key to a successful forum is participation, by everyone. We have several members who post quite regularly and we thank you for that, for others its not possible to post all the time, that is fine also. If we can get postings up, then we will continue to grow. I have seen an internet militaria forum die and this one is showing no signs of that yet. It is not as fast paced as others, but the topic covered is narrower than some and we are still relatively new.
    Dale and I will get started on some forum physical changes to make things a little more user friendly and please keep the feedback coming. We would rather hear your suggestions then have members not participate because they don't like something about the forum we can change.
    Post away fellas!

jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Sun May 01, 2011 11:32 am

OK, I have sent an email to all 0 post members, lets see what happens. rock on

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Tue May 03, 2011 11:02 am

I started tightening up the forums a bit. WWI and WWII are done...let me know if this is how you would like it...other suggestions...etc.

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Tue May 03, 2011 12:25 pm

Eliminated a bunch of sub forums in a few categories...may have to add a sub forum here and there in the future to unclutter them a bit.

Darrell

Post by Darrell Wed May 04, 2011 4:05 am

Hi Dale

Good job. It does look neater than before. :)

One thing, if I may; maybe ditch the Nazi flag in WW2 section for a Red Ensign or something.

regards
    Darrell
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Wed May 04, 2011 5:21 am

Looking better. One question, not sure what the difference is between MISC and General Discussion. These could be combined?
    48th
    48th

Forum Seems to be Dying Off - Page 2 Empty Pictures

Post by 48th Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:48 am

Hello all,

I came apon this thread today and thought that I would add some feedback regarding the site. I think this site is great and it is a shame that more Canadian military collectors do not use this site.
    The issue that I have with this site is the posting of pictures, I have an extensive WWII Candian collection and would love to post pictures but have not been able. I have read the user notes on how to do it and have tried multiple times, the last time being 45 minutes. Not sure if it is an issue with my computer or it is a user issue :-). I am not a technology advanced guy but I am able to post pictures on EBay and other sites with no problems but this site seems to be much more complicated to post them.

I am hopeing as the tech world advances this site will be a click and post type of place.
    jholl72
    jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:50 am

Hi 48th,
    Thanks for your feedback on the forum! The photo hosting has been an issue for us from the bbeginning and we recognize its not user friendly at all. I can try and walk you through the process here when I'm not at work or you can use a photo hosting site. I use imagepost(I think that's the name) it allows you to upload and post multiple photos all at once.
    When this forum was set up we used the free version of the software and this is the upload system that came with it. We are locked in for a certain number of years unfortunately but that time is coming to an end soon. Dale and I have discussed changing forum software to make the forum more user friendly, there will be changes coming I can tell you that, just don't know the timeline yet.
    Thanks to everyone for your participation in the forum, without that it is nothing and keep the feedback coming!

edstorey

Forum Seems to be Dying Off - Page 2 Empty Downloading Images

Post by edstorey Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:52 am

I have a photobucket account and can download to that site. From there I can take an image and insert it into a forum post. The process takes a few minutes, but I have found it easy and it works.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    edstorey
    edstorey

Forum Seems to be Dying Off - Page 2 Empty The Forum

Post by edstorey Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:56 am

You have a good site, but I think that your forum members have various needs and expectations which reflects on the useage.
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:57 am

If a major change is being weighed, perhaps a BB3 format? It seems to work very well for the CEFSG.
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:35 pm

jholl72 wrote:Hi 48th,
    Thanks for your feedback on the forum! The photo hosting has been an issue for us from the bbeginning and we recognize its not user friendly at all. I can try and walk you through the process here when I'm not at work or you can use a photo hosting site. I use imagepost(I think that's the name) it allows you to upload and post multiple photos all at once.
    When this forum was set up we used the free version of the software and this is the upload system that came with it. We are locked in for a certain number of years unfortunately but that time is coming to an end soon. Dale and I have discussed changing forum software to make the forum more user friendly, there will be changes coming I can tell you that, just don't know the timeline yet.
    Thanks to everyone for your participation in the forum, without that it is nothing and keep the feedback coming!

Hi Jeff,
    Thank you very much for your reply, insite as to why the fourm is the way it is and for graciously offering to help me navagate posting a picture. Very much appreciated.I will try and play around with it a bit more before bothering you with this issue. I am happy to hear that the fourm might be getting a new upload application that would be more user friendly. I would like to think that i am not the only one having issues with this. lol

Bill, what is BB3 and what other sites use that kind of system?

Thanks again for every ones help.

Ron
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:48 pm

Hi Ron, The CEFSG uses the phpBB3 format, and Maple Leaf Up uses vBulletin v3.8.4. Similar formats.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks for the info Bill.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:47 pm

I promise to get on the hosting issue soon. We do have some time before the contract on this host is done, so we can discuss this issue for the benefit of everyone here.

Keep the suggestions coming!

jholl72
    Administrator

Post by jholl72 Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:23 pm

Maybe I jumped the gun on talking about the hosting issue, lol, but we do recognize it is an issue and that we are addressing it.......so the membership is aware that we are listening.
    I don't mind helping any member with any issue they have, be it photo's, user name changes, etc..........no personal problems though! LOL

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:46 am

Well, I checked the forumotion site about registrar transfers and got this reply...looks like they are not going to make things easy but somewhat possible. May not get the domain name though.

First of all, remember that the transfer of domains purchased through forumotion is an operation that can be done only in exceptional circumstances and case by case.

Domains purchased via forumotion are specially dedicated to forumotion forums and nothing else. The outgoing transfer isn't a right but a concession that we offers.
    Otherwise, it is possible that in some cases, the outgoing transfer can not succeed for one reason or another, we disclaim all liability in this case as soon as you are warned that the system is not designed to handle these outgoing transfers .

Before making a transfer request,please verify that your domain is eligible for transfer.

Also, forwarding transfered domain name to your forum may have many inconveniences:

It may creates duplicate content, which cancel your referencing. Loss of the SEO also
    Loss of rediretion on the base URL of your forum
    Loss of Custom email boxes

Despite this, if you want to transfer your domain to another register, the procedure depends on the nature of your domain name:

1. if the domain name has been offered by Forumotion: in this case, the domain is transferable within 30 days prior its expiration. In the case where the offered domain name was renewed for free, the transfer can be done only within 30 days prior its expiration. If this renewal was fee, so the domain is transferable after the 90 days following its renewal and not before.

2. if the domain was bought by the user via credits: in this case, the domain is transferable only after a delay of 90 days since the date of its purchase. In the case where the domain name is fee but had benefit of a free renewal offered by Forumotion, the transfer is then possible after a delay of 180 days (6 months) since its renewal. If this renewal was fee, the delay falls to 90 days.

When you fill all these conditions, send a PM to Leeloo with request (or to staff member with request forward it to Leeloo):

1. Domain name to transfer
    2. Name + first name + address + email you provided when you purchased your domain name
    3. Base URL of the forum
    4. Founder email address of the forum
    5. URL of the thread about your request, if you have opened one

Upon receipt and validation of this informations, Forumotion dissociate your alliance forum/domain. Since then, your forum will not be available at your domain anymore, but will go on to operate normally and without any loss (notice that you lose the personal email boxes attached to the removed domain) in its URL base.

You will then receive the transfert code by email (AuthCode = this is a letters and numbers code that we send by email on the email address given by the domain name's administrator and not the founder email address of the forum! It has to be provided to your new registrar to achieve the transfer process) and you'll have 72 hours to achieve the transfer process.

Important: Once initiated, this process can't be stopped or you will lose the domain. So, before asking for a domain outgoing transfer, prepare everything in advance and be sure of what you do. All this process remains subjects to an approval.

Thank you Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:29 am