Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+15
pylon1357
barriefield-brian
bubberstone
airborne666
Fortes97
ddaydodger
servicepub
qsamike
Wouter
sarge5020
Darrell
Infanteer
Battalion Colours
Michael Reintjes
Bill
19 posters

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan

Bill
    Bill

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan  - Page 7 Empty Re: A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan

Post by Bill Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:28 pm

Just a thought. The FSSF patch was an approved Canadian patch. (NDHQ actually approved it before the US approved the patch in the SWW.) I wonder what the regulatory implications are for taking the approved patch of another disbanded formation into use for a current unit? And, this sign is really a formation patch not a regimental title. From a historical point of view, it raises a lot of questions.
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan  - Page 7 Empty Re: A Selection of Shoulder Patches from Afghanistan

Post by Infanteer Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:45 pm

That does raise another question... is CSOR using this patch officially or unofficially? My guess is that it's unofficial.
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:33 pm

found another...US Special Forces though.

DEVGRU Operator Kevin Houston - Killed in Action, 6 August 2011, Wardak Province, Afghanistan.
    [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:53 pm

Not sure if this one made it on here yet...

Nato Training Mission Afghanistan:

NTM-A Deputy Commander-Police Maj. Gen. Michael Ward sporting this patch:

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:20 pm

Does anyone know what patch this is on the left arm above the ISAF patch?

Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks Dale for posting those great photographs to this thread! ! !

"Honneur et Fidélité"

Darrell
    Darrell

Post by Darrell Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:39 pm

mk1rceme wrote:Does anyone know what patch this is on the left arm above the ISAF patch?

I emailed him and asked; hopefully he answers!! Deano is good people.Very Happy

regards
    Darrell
    Darrell
    Darrell

Post by Darrell Thu Feb 16, 2012 5:08 am

Hi

The answer is:

that guy wrote:...Gen Habibi from 1st Bde 205 Corps gave me his Afghan Bde patch and I wore it from time to time...

Helpful?

regards
    Darrell
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:43 pm

Thanks Darrell! Just one I have never seen before. At least it isn't another Cdn. patch to figure out 2 thumbs up

mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:44 pm

Got this KPRT patch from a US soldier recently. Looks like a theater made example. Pretty rough.

pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Hey Dale, yup you hit the nail on the head. I have seen these, I will dig about my hard drive in Montreal for a photo of this patch in use. This is something I have just started working on again.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Post by servicepub Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:08 pm

Here's a brand new one for you.

The horse-head represents the name (Black Horse) of the base camp in Kabul. The number is for Number 2 Platoon and the red triangle is that used by "Gulf" Company of the 2nd Bn, The RCR. The patches were manufactured overseas and were procured through Penny's of Thunder Bay.

This is the prototype and the production badges - limited to 35 - do not have the bridle. This patch was commissioned by the platoon commander for distribution to his platoon upon arrival in Afghanistan. That event occurred today. Their role is to be the protective force for all movement between the three camps in the Kabul area.

How do I know all this you ask? The Platoon Commander is my son, Lt Richard Law.
    Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:59 am

Outstanding Clive! 2 thumbs up

When your son has a chance, might he be able to send you a photograph to post on this forum showing the patches being worn?

"Honneur et Fidélité"

Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:02 am

These were made in Kabul, Afghanistan.

"Honneur et Fidélité"

servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Post by servicepub Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:41 pm

servicepub wrote:Here's a brand new one for you.

The horse-head represents the name (Black Horse) of the base camp in Kabul. The number is for Number 2 Platoon and the red triangle is that used by "Gulf" Company of the 2nd Bn, The RCR. The patches were manufactured overseas and were procured through Penny's of Thunder Bay.

This is the prototype and the production badges - limited to 35 - do not have the bridle. This patch was commissioned by the platoon commander for distribution to his platoon upon arrival in Afghanistan. That event occurred today. Their role is to be the protective force for all movement between the three camps in the Kabul area.

How do I know all this you ask? The Platoon Commander is my son, Lt Richard Law.

I need to update this post. It is now CAPTAIN Richard Law :yessir:
    servicepub
    servicepub
    In Memoriam

Post by servicepub Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Photo of Capt Law with Gen Vance who is wearing the patch posted above.

Battalion Colours
    Battalion Colours

Post by Battalion Colours Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:08 pm

Great photograph Clive! Thanks for sharing it with us. 2 thumbs up

"Honneur et Fidélité"

ddaydodger
    ddaydodger

Post by ddaydodger Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:02 pm

Gen Tim Grant's uniform- LdSH Museum.

Last edited by ddaydodger on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:31 am

Interesting patch. Could you provide some provenance for it?
    mk1rceme
    mk1rceme
    Administrator

Post by mk1rceme Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:25 pm

New one I purchased...better pic when in hand.

Bill

Post by Bill Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:01 am

Heads up. There are several lots of Afghanistan deployment patches on ebay. Here is one http://www.ebay.com/itm/271119552782?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649.
    Having compared the ones being offered with the same I have in my collection (I have 6 or 7 that duplicate those on offer), the ones being auctioned vary significantly in detail. It is interesting to COMPARE in detail the badges posted above in this thread with the same badge being offered. The patch colours, embroidery style, lettering size, and base materials on some differ enough to indicate a completely different embroiderer. Cliff mentioned something about the velcro on the back.The problem of reproduction in the case of Afghan deployment patches has already been discussed, and is an ongoing problem. These can not be conclusively dismissed as reproduction, but they are different from ones verified as issued.
    I suspect these patches will sell for very significant prices given the results for similar Afghan material. IF you collect these patches, please take note.
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks for bringing this up Bill, I thought I posted a warning here as well. The thing that sounded alarms for me was the fact all the current offerings have a 'lock stitch' or 'rolled edge' as seen on the reverse of the badges. NONE of the badges that I have seen from the Boardwalk Embroidery shop (theater produced) have this finished edge. Any badges produced there have a raw edge and were cut by hand.

Unfortunately, I do not have any of my badges here with me in Montreal, they are back home in Ottawa and I can not get photos of the reverse.

As Bill says, this is not proof positive these badges are not as described, but for me having been there from Dec 08 until mid Oct 2011, I have never seen this type of characteristic in any of the theater produced badges.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    barriefield-brian
    barriefield-brian

Post by barriefield-brian Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:32 pm

https://servimg.com/view/17664855/8 Not sure if this pic thing will work for me. My buddy in the Netherlands gave me this patch he says he got from the Canadians there in Afghanistan. Cheers Brian

Last edited by barriefield-brian on Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
    barriefield-brian
    barriefield-brian

Post by barriefield-brian Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:38 pm

https://servimg.com/view/17664855/7 Not sure how to get the pic up but works if you click on it. Cheers Brian

Last edited by barriefield-brian on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tankermike
    Tankermike

Post by Tankermike Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:00 am

More afgan patches, no pictures of velcro on back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Isaf-Afghanistan-US-Canadian-Task-Force-Kandahar-Velcro-/121035754717?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2e4b0cdd

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:13 pm