Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

4 posters

SURVIVABILITY OF MEDALS TO CANADIAN SCOUTS

qsamike
    qsamike

SURVIVABILITY OF MEDALS TO CANADIAN SCOUTS Empty SURVIVABILITY OF MEDALS TO CANADIAN SCOUTS

Post by qsamike Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:39 pm

GOOD EVENING GENTLEMEN......

I Have decided to take on the project of compiling a list of all the existing Queen's South Africa Medals either in singles or in groups named to.....

THE CANADIAN SCOUTS

I would ask the assistance of all members of the forum if they can provide me with the following information.....

1. Name, Rank and Regimental Number (Note: Some medals were issued without a Number).

2. Style of Name Unitt: CAN. SCOUTS, CANAD'N SCOUTS, CANADIAN SCOUTS

3. Bars on the medal.

4. If part of a Group the other medals in the group.

5. Country of Location. I do not want any personal information just Country.

All information will be kept confidential and I may possibly be able to pass on some information to you......

Thank you in advance for any assistance that you can provide.....

Mike

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
    qsamike
    qsamike

SURVIVABILITY OF MEDALS TO CANADIAN SCOUTS Empty Re: SURVIVABILITY OF MEDALS TO CANADIAN SCOUTS

Post by qsamike Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:03 am

Just bringing this to the front.....

Mike
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

SURVIVABILITY OF MEDALS TO CANADIAN SCOUTS Empty Re: SURVIVABILITY OF MEDALS TO CANADIAN SCOUTS

Post by pylon1357 Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:06 am

Mike, I would love to help however, I don't have a single QSA or KSA in my collection. Something that I shall one day rectify.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:41 pm

Just bringing this to the fore.....

Mike
    G.A. Rempel

Post by G.A. Rempel Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:04 pm

Hi Mike,
    I have a KSA to the Canadian Scouts - are you just looking for QSA's?
    Thanks, gerry
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:47 pm

Good Evening Gerry.....

Yes any medal named to Canadian Scouts......

Queen's and King's.....

Mike
    G.A. Rempel

Post by G.A. Rempel Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Hi Mike,
    Sorry - I told you had a KSA to a Scout, then realised I hadn't given you the info:
    Kings South Africa Medal with Bars South Africa 1901 and SA 1902 Named to: 38834 SERJT. E. J. HACKETT. CANADIAN SCOUTS.
    Single medal. Located in Canada.
    Thanks,
    gerry
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:19 pm

Hi Gerry.....

No Problem.....

Here is some information on your man......

HACKETT, ERNEST JOHN / TROOPER-SERGEANT / 38834 / AUSTRALIAN / 23 OCTOBER 1901 TO 20 MAY 1902 / PREVIOUS SERVICE WITH \ BUSHVELDT CARBINEERS, WEST AUSTRALIAN INFANTRY BRIGADE / QSA WITH CAPE COLONY, ORANGE FREE STATE AND TRANSVAAL BARS

Mike

G.A. Rempel wrote:Hi Mike,
    Sorry - I told you had a KSA to a Scout, then realised I hadn't given you the info:
    Kings South Africa Medal with Bars South Africa 1901 and SA 1902   Named to:   38834  SERJT. E. J. HACKETT.   CANADIAN SCOUTS.
    Single medal. Located in Canada.
    Thanks,
    gerry
    G.A. Rempel

Post by G.A. Rempel Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:49 pm

Thanks alot Mike ! I'll have to try and locate that QSA to complete the pair. How is your project coming?
    Thanks again, gerry
    Roscoe69

Post by Roscoe69 Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:59 am

Hi there, my grandfather Major Charles Joseph Ross DSO was commander of the Canadian Scouts after Major A L Howard was killed in action 17th Feb 1901, his medal group as follows, DSO, Queen's Cypher, North West Canada 1885 with Saskatchewan Clasp, Queen's South Africa Medal with Belfast, Diamond Hill, Johannesburg, Driefontein, Natal, Paatdeberg, Relief of Kimberley, Cape Conony Clasp's, Kings South Africa Medal with South Africa 1902, South Africa 1901, 1914-1915 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal with Oakleaf. Hope this is of interest Kind Regards,
    Anthony Ross.
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:32 am

Good Morning Anthony

Thank you for your information about your Grandfather..... I knew about his medals but can you please tell me if either the QSA or the KSA is named to the Canadian Scouts, I would think the KSA at least......

Mike
    pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

Post by pylon1357 Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:30 am

Roscoe69 wrote:Hi there, my grandfather Major Charles Joseph Ross DSO was commander of the Canadian Scouts after Major A L Howard was killed in action 17th Feb 1901, his medal group as follows, DSO, Queen's Cypher, North West Canada 1885 with Saskatchewan Clasp, Queen's South Africa Medal with Belfast, Diamond Hill, Johannesburg, Driefontein, Natal, Paatdeberg, Relief of Kimberley, Cape Conony Clasp's, Kings South Africa Medal with South Africa 1902, South Africa 1901, 1914-1915 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal with Oakleaf. Hope this is of interest Kind Regards,
    Anthony Ross.

WOW, this sounds like a gorgeous grouping.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
    Roscoe69

Post by Roscoe69 Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:34 am

qsamike wrote:Good Morning Anthony

Thank you for your information about your Grandfather.....  I knew about his medals but can you please tell me if either the QSA or the KSA is named to the Canadian Scouts, I would think the KSA at least......

Mike
    Hi again Mike, yes both QSA and KSA are marked Maj. C. Ross D.S.O. Candn Scouts (Rim), regards Anthony
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:40 am

Just bumping up to the top again.....

Thanks

Mike
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:34 pm

Just bumping up to the top..... Mike
    qsamike
    qsamike

Post by qsamike Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:50 pm

Just bumping up to the top..... Mike

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 pm