Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+6
pylon1357
jm
LSR
edstorey
mk1rceme
smle1940
10 posters

1943 Canadian battle jerkin

pylon1357
    pylon1357
    Global Moderator

1943 Canadian battle jerkin - Page 2 Empty Re: 1943 Canadian battle jerkin

Post by pylon1357 Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:28 am

Infanteer wrote:Actually, I think Glenn should take what Ed says to heart. There is a lot of wisdom in what he (and others) is saying. It's clear that Glenn is passionate about the story behind his jerkin which is great. It's great to see someone being passionate about this hobby. However, for the rest of us the story is just that... an unsubstantiated story. I'm very happy that Glenn is sharing his great piece with us but I too am looking forward to some period photos or some other proof that the jerkin was both used and modified by a Canadian soldier during the war. I'm not convinced. Over the years we have all seen people trying to justify their pieces and normally the only people they are convincing is themselves.

I see what you mean Steve. I suppose I should have said, take no personal offence to what Ed and others said. I think we have all at one time or another bought into a story. It can be an expensive purchase for sure.

Looking forward to seeing and learning more about these Jerkins.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
    edstorey
    edstorey

1943 Canadian battle jerkin - Page 2 Empty Battle Jerkin Story

Post by edstorey Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:16 pm

I am very glad that the vest has been saved by a passionate collector. I just hope that some additional information shows up as a result of this lengthy series of e-mail exchanges. What images or documents on these are waiting to be discovered in the Netherlands Military Archives, potentially a search could be very fruitful.
    coococachu

Post by coococachu Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:54 pm

I don't know how relevant to the discussion this is, but my dad was given a pain of coveralls for work from an elderly lady. She said that her husband used them for hunting, but they turned out to be tanker coveralls or "pixie suit". Just to show what people used post war for recreational activities.
    Infanteer
    Infanteer

Post by Infanteer Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:04 pm

pylon1357 wrote: I think we have all at one time or another bought into a story. It can be an expensive purchase for sure.

Regardless how good a piece of militaria is, it's always better when we can associate it with some real history so it can be very easy to get excited by the stories that sometimes come with these items. Perhaps some of us just become wary of stories over time because it seems that it's often the questionable items that tend to come with the great stories.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:47 pm