Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+8
Cameraguy
thegate
lorne19
edstorey
Jonhno
Van doos
LSR
kozowy1967
12 posters

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina

Jonhno

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Empty Re: Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina

Post by Jonhno Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:45 pm

I like the green and tan camo mark, didn't see this one, how many helmets are you hiding, I know of one I am after,
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Empty Re: Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina

Post by kozowy1967 Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm

Hi John good to here from you I hope you are well if there was more interest in Canadian helmets here I would have posted more of my collection .
    But as many of my threads went unanswered and or generated very little discussion I did not see that there was much point in waisting the forums band width and or the time it takes to write a thread .
    Are you just enquiring about Canadian Mk II WW II examples or are you asking how many helmets do I have in general in my collection.

Regards Mark

Last edited by kozowy1967 on Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:16 pm

am well thanks, photos and details are always useful for reference, I know you have a few more helmets !
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:14 pm

You are correct John I have 64 WW II Canadian Mk II's in my personal collection still baring there original liners and chinstraps and 114 helmets in total I have posted nine here and six of which did not even warrant a response and or generated very little discussion which I found very surprising given the name of the forum (CANADIAN MILITARY COLLECTORS FORUM ) if there was serious interest I would post up a few more.
    I always include an in-depth detailed description of my helmets and other military items in my collection so I must say I was rather disappointed with the response I received here as I have only ever asked for opinions on one odd black and white camo Canadian Mk II that has me stumped if you check my profile you can view a few of the ones I had posted here by viewing my posts.

Regards Mark

48th
    48th

Post by 48th Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi Mark,

I have enjoyed looking at and learning about the helmets you have posted.
    You have an amazing collection of WWII helmets and always happy to see more if you invested the time to do so.

I have a few of my own that I would love to post but have issues with the image up load on this site.
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Hi 48th thank you for the kind words do we know each other from a different venue or forum by chance.
    I have always enjoyed discussing and networking all aspects of Canadian helmets and there components with other interested collectors and enthusiasts.

Regards Mark
    48th
    48th

Post by 48th Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:58 am

Hi Mark,

I am not aware that we know each other, I only post here and the British badge forum in the Canadian section, same user ID.
    It is a shame this site does not have more interest and more members. It is an amazing site, well laid out with lots of specific section.
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:03 am

I agree it is a good site and I came hear as I thought there would be more interest as it is a Canadian based forum specializing in Canadian military .
    And find it rather discouraging with the lack of replies.
    I thought perhaps you may have been a member of one of the other venue's I belong to as a good many of the membership from here I recognize from posting to other forums.

Regards Mark
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:32 pm

kozowy1967 wrote:Morning Van Doos I have seen your Mk II before and rather like it myself as to it being used in country early on in 1940 I consider this only one possibility you are of course referring to the quite times otherwise known as the Phoney War.
    I agree at this time there was a lot of experimentation going on in country with different camo patterns the Mickey Mouse Pattern only being one and a good many different colors being experimented with as well the colors that were used are a pretty good indicator of what theater of operations the camo was intended for I am not completely convinced though that this pattern did not see service in the actual ETO .
    As I can show a few period images to support that this particular pattern or one very close to it was used by Canadian Soldiers with in a few days of the D-day beach landings It would be extremely helpful if they were in color of course but such is life I am still researching patterns and colors that were adopted by the Canadian Army so it is on going here is one such image I found taken on Juno Beach and IMO would have been taken with in days of the D-day beach landing.  
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Canada10
    Well we are on the subjects of Camos here is another that I recently acquired from a member of the forum as part of a trade it is a 1941 dated C.L./C. steel lot batch # 33 it is sporting a 1940 dated VMC liner in a size 6 3/4 .
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Pictur20
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Pictur21
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Pictur22
    Regards Mark

This helmet passed through my hands at one point. It was found in the Waterloo area of Ontario.
    Ypres
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:39 pm

It always amazes me how some of the finer helmets get passed around from one advanced collection to another and never see the marketplace.

Regards Mark
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:53 pm

It's a great piece. I was really fond of it. I'm happy it's found a good home!

Ypres
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:22 pm

It is a most welcome addition to my collection and sits High on my shelf with my other camos is there any other provanance that you know of.

Regards Mark
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Sorry! I have no more info for you! It would be nice if it was unit IDed!

Ypres
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:43 am

Here is one of my favourite helmets. Front seem, fixed bale, Hawley liner. Found at the local Flea market in 1980 ......

Thanks,

Ypres

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Can110
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Can210
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Can310
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:01 pm

ypres wrote:
    kozowy1967 wrote:Morning Van Doos I have seen your Mk II before and rather like it myself as to it being used in country early on in 1940 I consider this only one possibility you are of course referring to the quite times otherwise known as the Phoney War.
    I agree at this time there was a lot of experimentation going on in country with different camo patterns the Mickey Mouse Pattern only being one and a good many different colors being experimented with as well the colors that were used are a pretty good indicator of what theater of operations the camo was intended for I am not completely convinced though that this pattern did not see service in the actual ETO .
    As I can show a few period images to support that this particular pattern or one very close to it was used by Canadian Soldiers with in a few days of the D-day beach landings It would be extremely helpful if they were in color of course but such is life I am still researching patterns and colors that were adopted by the Canadian Army so it is on going here is one such image I found taken on Juno Beach and IMO would have been taken with in days of the D-day beach landing.  
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Canada10
    Well we are on the subjects of Camos here is another that I recently acquired from a member of the forum as part of a trade it is a 1941 dated C.L./C. steel lot batch # 33 it is sporting a 1940 dated VMC liner in a size 6 3/4 .
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Pictur20
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Pictur21
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Pictur22
    Regards Mark

This helmet passed through my hands at one point. It was found in the Waterloo area of Ontario.
    Ypres

Check out this link ..... I've been looking for it for some time. Near the end of the video there is a nice shot of two helmets in the surf. Notice the Camo helmet on the left..

http://www.ina.fr/video/AFE85009637

Ypres
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:42 am

Many thanks for the link ypres I stopped the video and had a peak at the detail and the pattern is very close indeed my I only wish is that it was in color as this would tell more of a tale.
    As to your M-1 is there a Canadian service number evident anywhere on the inside of the shell liner and or furniture.
    And would you be kind enough to see if you can find the heat stamp as we know 200,000 US M-1 helmets arrived on NDHQ door step in April of 1943 and some of these were put into active service. There is a small list of known examples with provenance my own included that can not be posted here as it is not salty and worn enough to qualify for being posted to this thread the heat stamp found on my McCord front seam fixed bale is 364-A which puts the production of my M-1 in late November or early December of 1942 it would be nice to know if your M-1 falls in the range of known examples as seen below.
    1 example named to Capt Elder's with service number the heat stamp number is 278A this helmet resides in the collection of Roger Lucy whom I would like to thank for allowing me to share the information below.

Other Canadian provenanced M1s have the following heat stamps
    268A has a St Clair Liner and is named to a soldier of the Brockville Rifles
    270D Hood Rubber liner has a postwar Western Command Service Number
    278A MSA liner has a postwar Central Ontario Command Service Number
    278 has a bi-coloured net and a postwar Western Ontario Command Service Number
    327D also a St Clair Liner
    363B Inland liner, post-war Canadian paint job and an early Mk.II chin-strap
    363C has a Hawley liner
    367 Regimental Police paint job postwar Central Command Service Number .

Regards Mark
    edstorey
    edstorey

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Empty Aged WWII Helmets

Post by edstorey Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:05 am

How about these?

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 DSC08950

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 USM1withHawleyLiner-1
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:11 am

Lovely examples Ed and thank you for adding them I have always liked that Mk II with the instructors flash is your M-1 one of the examples posted above and if not would you mind sharing a little more information please such as the heat stamp and service number if there is one it is apparent by the images that it is sporting a Hawley liner .

Regards Mark

Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:55 am

Not sure if this should be discussed in this thread, but please read this link about some "badged" Second World War helmets. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=303427#post303427
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:01 am

Thanx Bill I believe you have to be a member to view the images though.

Regards Mark
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:03 am

Hmm. Shouldn't have to be a member to view... to post yes.
    Try the FB page post, https://www.facebook.com/groups/2246528180/10152782234863181/?notif_t=group_comment_reply.
    You have to be a member of the group, but that takes a second to apply. (I am an admn on both those sites...)
    Once in scroll down to the post by Rob Dekker on March 19.
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:14 am

Thanks Bill it just might be me or perhaps my mobile phone I will try again Robb has some excellent militaria in his collection I have seen some of it on different venues on this electric medium known as the Internet.

Regards Mark
    Bill
    Bill

Post by Bill Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:16 am

Hi Mark, These are not in Robb's collection, but something that are starting to show up.
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:37 am

Thanks Bill I had a very brief look as I am at work I will have a proper sit down tonight in front of my laptop and do a little reading.

Regards Mark
    edstorey
    edstorey

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 Empty Wartime Canadian M1s

Post by edstorey Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:38 am

As per military practice, many of the wartime M1s were re-used well into the late 1990s.

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 US%20M1%20Liner%20with%20red%20triangle%20copy_zps2mly9ft1

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 US%20M1%20with%20ERDL_Mitchell%20cover%20-%20Canadian%20copy_zpsncsamqj7

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 2 US%20M1%20with%20WWII%20Canadian%20net%20copy_zpslouvkftv

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:15 pm