Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Canadian Military Collectors Forum

Comprehensive Forum of Canadian Armed Forces History & Militaria

+8
Cameraguy
thegate
lorne19
edstorey
Jonhno
Van doos
LSR
kozowy1967
12 posters

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina

kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Empty Re: Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina

Post by kozowy1967 Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:48 am

Thank you for the reply Ed and I do concure that the Canadian wartime issued M-1 went on to have a long service life well into the late 90's .
    This makes finding an un-molested wartime example with original paint, straps and liner extremley difficult to source.

Regards Mark
    edstorey
    edstorey

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Empty WWII Canadian M1s

Post by edstorey Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:02 am

With the trend these days being painted and unit-marked helmets, the ones in original condition don't seem to attract much attention.

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 US%20M1%20with%20MSA%20Liner%20copy_zpsuofmgmgm

Examples with WWII service numbers seem to create the most buzz in Canada.

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 US%20M1%20WWII%20-%20Canadian%20Service%20Number%20copy_zpssqiezxxr
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Empty Re: Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina

Post by kozowy1967 Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:36 am

Ed another fine example and we'll we are on the subject of soldier ID helmets I seem to remember you ended up purchasing your father's old wartime Mk II off of E-Bay a few years back and it was miss listed as a US M-17 if memory serves me correct.

Regards Mark
    edstorey
    edstorey

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Empty Mk II Helmet

Post by edstorey Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:52 am

Yes, that was over a decade ago. It was my Father's RCE marked Mk II from the period 1955-1960. At the time I paid way too much for it, but the price has since been eclipsed by the current prices being paid for Mk IIs.
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:54 am

Ed IMHO to be able to reclaim that part of your families history to me would have been well worth every dime paid and then some.

Regards Mark
    ypres
    ypres

Post by ypres Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:26 pm

My helmet is stamped 283A .... I believe this puts it just before your example Sept-Oct '42. Frustratingly there are some initials on the strap but they are illegible. When I bought it $20 seemed like a bunch of money ..... but I was making $2.45/hr ... times have changed for sure!

Ypres
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:45 pm

Good day ypres the list I have provided are only known examples with provanance so your M-1 falls in this range and is a  early McCord with a Hawley liner which if memory serves me correct a good many of the 200,000 that came into Canada had Hawley's a very sweet helmet I would be quite excited to have in my own collection.

Regards Mark
    37patt
    37patt

Post by 37patt Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:18 pm

Kozowy1967, further to your list of WWII Canadian used M1 helmets I have one with a heat stamp number 282A. The liner is a Westinghouse. The leather chinstrap on the liner has the service number K601525 written on it - this corresponds to a member of No. 110 BTC in the Reserve Force MD 11.
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:59 am

Thank you for adding your example 37patt I am of the opinion that perhaps this information in regards to heat stamps and soldier ID numbers should be posted in a separate thread  as there seems to be a bit of interest in the subject and I deem the information gathered may be useful to the collecting community at large .
    I thought perhaps I should include an image of my own example Heat Stamp 364 A which came to me through an estate sale and had a Vietnam era P-64 liner which is collectible in its own right but as I wanted a wartime example with the proper liner and furniture I opted to source a fairly minty CAPAC liner until I can locate either a Hawley and or appropriate earlier liner to replace it with .  

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Pictur13
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Pictur14

Regards Mark
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:47 am

Perhaps there is enough renewed interest in this thread that I may post up a few more examples of combat helmets with nice well worn Patina we shall see ?
    Although the Polish army in exile is not in the strictest sense Canadian and or Commonwealth they were with out a doubt a very close ally and are definitely worthy of mention although I may be a little bias being a Pole and as stated below.
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Poland10
    I had been on the hunt for a Mk II flashed to the Polish Brigade in exile for some time to add to my Mk II collection and they do not come up for sale in the market place very often I did manage to secure this example from a fellow advanced collector in Vancouver a few months back  .
    The helmet body was produced by EC&CO and has a nice textured finish showing definite age,wear and a nice used patina,The liner was produced by JCS&W Ltd and is 1941 dated.
    I am quite confident that the eagle was WW II period applied but is not an obvious and or widely recognized pattern.
    Do to the discoloration in the painted on the flash it would appear it may have been applied with anti gas paint which was quite common at the time as there are other known period examples that confirm this practice. It is thought that this flash is an early variation that was not widely adopted and was possibly applied for a very short period of time while the Polish Army in exile was being reconstituted in Scotland in early 1940.
    This of course at this point is only speculation and a theory as there is no period evidence in the form of images to support this but there are other known one off period variations to the Polish eagle with provenance that have been applied to WW II period helmets that were only used for a short period of time either at a Unit,Company and or Battalion level till the flash was standardized in early to mid 1941 as it is a well known fact that the poles were fiercely independent and patriotic.
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Mk_ii_10
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Mk_ii_11
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Mk_ii_12
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Mk_ii_13
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Mk_ii_14
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Mk_ii_15
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Mk_ii_16

Regards Mark
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:02 am

Plain janes are good too ED, a favourite helmet of mine is an Unissued Australian MKIII, anyway, here is a good Canadian used para helmet, last year of manufacture by BMB (1953) I see the owner has added inside his jumps and also service no and name.  Too bad I do not own this one a "hoarder" friend brought it to show, (posted before but interesting for this thread)
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 00610
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 00110
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 00310
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 00510

kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:27 am

Hi John a very nice BMB HSAT I will have to post up one of my two examples can you make out the steel lot batch code as I have a short list of Canadian 1953 dated HSAT'S with provanance and as to date they are all coming out of two steel lots.
    Canada ordered and took delivery on 4,000 HSAT'S from Great Britain in 1953 to help equip are MSF and growing Airborne forces as we were in dire need of para helmets and had even converted Canadian Wartime HSDR's to fill some of the supply gaps (On my wants list by the way )some units were forced to even share them amongst the troopers .
    And  this was actually BMB's  first year of post war production not there last.

Regards Mark

Last edited by kozowy1967 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:23 am

Here is one of the two 1953 dated BMB HSAT's from my collection I am of the opinion this particular example could be a good candidate as a training helmet that was used at the Joint Airborne Training Center ( JATC ) at Rivers Manitoba as it is adorned with the best I can tell at least five separate service men's names and or service numbers on the interior of the shell or the furniture.
    As well as having a piece of wide masking tape applied to the front of the helmet body.
    I do remember seeing an image some were a number of years back of a stick of new recruits preparing to board the plane for a jump and all of them had tape attached to either the front and or the back of there helmets to identify them as such.
    As to the steel batch codes found on 1953-dated BMB HSAT's batch C335 or C336 are two known steel batch codes that can be tied to a few Canadian HSAT's with known provenance two of which are in my own collection .
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Pictur15
    Take note of the masking tape in the image below it has also received at least two coats of OD green paint as adopted by the Canadian Army sometime in 1952 or 1953.
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Pictur16
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Pictur17
    A few images of Soldiers service numbers and names one example starting with an SD which would tie this helmet from a unit out of Quebec.
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Pictur18
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Pictur19
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Pictur20

Regards Mark
    edstorey
    edstorey

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Empty Post-War Helmets

Post by edstorey Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:47 am

If we are talking about post-war Canadian helmets, here are a few.

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 USM1TypeIIParachuteHelmet-Canadian

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 PASGTCanadian-woodlandcoverandne-1

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 PASGTCanadianUN-1
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:26 am

Good morning Ed perhaps I should have ran this thread else-wear on the forum as to include all eras of Canadian and or Commonwealth helmets you are most welcome to post your fine post war examples here as John has now let the cat out of the bag as it were I do not think we can force him back in ROTFL
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Cat-ou10
    So the the thread is now open to all examples but should fall into at least the one earlier criteria of being from a Commonwealth nation
    And while we are on the subject of post war examples here is one of my favorite a very artistically painted Camo Mk II HSRAC showing some definate age patina and wear as to its lineage who can say as these were used by other countries post war other than Canada and the UK and had a long service life ending some time in the early 80's .
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Pictur21
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Pictur22
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Pictur23
    Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Pictur24

Regards Mark
    Jonhno

Post by Jonhno Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:53 am

kozowy1967 wrote:Hi John a very nice BMB HSAT I will have to post up one of my two examples can you make out the steel lot batch code as I have a short list of Canadian 1953 dated HSAT'S with provanance and as to date they are all coming out of two steel lots.
    Canada ordered and took delivery on 4,000 HSAT'S from Great Britain in 1953 to help equip are MSF and growing Airborne forces as we were in dire need of para helmets and had even converted Canadian Wartime HSDR's to fill some of the supply gaps (On my wants list by the way )some units were forced to even share them amongst the troopers .
    And  this was actually BMB's  first year of post war production not there last.

Regards Mark

Ah, mis understood about BMB production, interesting helmets too you have posted, I don't know if I will see that helmet again to see the lot no.

I see the service no, corresponded to someone in Sask.

Ed. would you give us a run down on the examples you have posted,

am off out right now you guys, so forgive me for not replying, will be looking this afternoon
    Cheers

John
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:06 am

Thanks for the reply John have a good day as to the M-1 posted by Ed it looks to be a fine Para helmet does it include the extra added cushioning pad as found only on Canadian examples?
    And Ed I can not help but notice under the camo cover above the swivel bale seems devoid of paint or is this an optical illusion and or has the shell been painted a different color other than Khaki and or OD green.

Regards Mark
    edstorey
    edstorey

Lets see your favorite worn Canadian/Commonwealth helmets with nice aged patina - Page 3 Empty Type II M1 parachute Helmet

Post by edstorey Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:38 am

Both the helmet shell and the liner had been painted UN blue on this example.
    kozowy1967
    kozowy1967

Post by kozowy1967 Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:47 am

Many thanks Ed as to the details I could not quite make it out not enough of the steel showing.

Regards Mark

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:02 pm